The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Freezing/Flatten, CPU question Audio Interfaces
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Freezing/Flatten, CPU question

If my CPU starts maxing out, I don't mind freezing and then flattening the tracks, but once I flatten them, I obviously can't go back to midi again with that track.

I tend to want to archive the midi with the song for good.

If I was to duplicate a track, say in session view, it has all the clips, same instruments, everything is exactly the same, but on one of them I freeze and flatten and the other one I do nothing to it, so I keep the midi, etc.

Then on the one I did nothing to, I turn the track off, by clicking the track number button.

Will that then save a lot of CPU load or will it still affect it because the plug ins are open still on that track even if the track isn't being used?

I ask this for future use as my projects get bigger. So far I have never over loaded the CPU. I record at 32 samples I/O as well, which is as far as the program will allow as far as latency and no cracks or pops or issues.

When I did the tone test when I simulated the CPU being used around 80% I started to hear some pops, but I put it on 64 and then I heard no pops, even if I max it out.

But I know as I keep going at some point with some of these tracks I'm gonna have to make them into audio but I don't want to loose the midi for archiving purposes.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Why not just freeze but not flatten? That's the whole point of freezing after all...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
Why not just freeze but not flatten? That's the whole point of freezing after all...
Well, I would just freeze and not flatten if that's all it takes, again I've never been in a situation where I had to do either but I'm simply learning Ableton and this subject came up to learn.

So, when I looked into it, I found a lot of people were flattening after freezing, I guess because even when it's froze, the plug ins are still on, just in a mode where they are doing what is programmed and not active to do anything else at the moment or am I wrong about that?

So, flattening, all you have is audio, no plug ins, so less CPU usage.

I don't know how big a project would have to be for my CPU to have that problem, I've created fairly large projects already. It's not as if I have the best spec'd out computer in the world, although it's a nice computer.

Of course the Saffire Pro 40 is the interface I'm using.

I am surprised that I am able to use Ableton at 32 I/O buffer with no pops or problems without having to have a decked out computer with some kind of Thunderbolt interface or something. This thing is just firewire.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffirepro40 View Post
Well, I would just freeze and not flatten if that's all it takes, again I've never been in a situation where I had to do either but I'm simply learning Ableton and this subject came up to learn.

So, when I looked into it, I found a lot of people were flattening after freezing, I guess because even when it's froze, the plug ins are still on, just in a mode where they are doing what is programmed and not active to do anything else at the moment or am I wrong about that?
You're wrong Freezing creates an audio file that's used for playback, and the plugins are retained inactive in the background, not taking up CPU cycles. That's the whole idea of it.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

It sounds like you're just muting the tracks, which isn't gonna save you any CPU.

After duplicating, you should deactivate any instrument and/or fx on the track. You can also right click on the midi/audio clip and select "deactivate clip." If you ever need to go back and tweak you can reactivate the clip and all the plugins on the track.
Old 10 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodybob View Post
It sounds like you're just muting the tracks, which isn't gonna save you any CPU.

After duplicating, you should deactivate any instrument and/or fx on the track. You can also right click on the midi/audio clip and select "deactivate clip." If you ever need to go back and tweak you can reactivate the clip and all the plugins on the track.
Deactivating clips doesn't deactivate the plugins, it just doesn't play the notes for that clip.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search