The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ableton 10's New Panner?
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Ableton 10's New Panner?

The new split stereo panning feature is long overdue. I'm wondering if it will have an affect the stereo image, if say, I covert an old mix to the new mode. That and groups inside of groups are the only things making me want to shell out $369 Cdn for the upgrade.

Has anyone tried this?

J

Last edited by Tapwatr; 13th March 2018 at 02:30 AM..
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac
The new split panning is not the default mode, you have to enable it, so older projects will sound the same when loaded.

The 2 modes are actually separate, so if you change from Split to Non-Split it can change the stereo image.

The values are stored separately, so, for example, if you put the knob to full left, then you switch to Split the 1st time, the 2 sliders will be set to the default setting, 50L and 50R (that is, center). When you switch back to non-Split, the knob will be set to full left, as previously set.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
The values are stored separately, so, for example, if you put the knob to full left, then you switch to Split the 1st time, the 2 sliders will be set to the default setting, 50L and 50R (that is, center). When you switch back to non-Split, the knob will be set to full left, as previously set.
Ok. Does switching between two modes, when both are set to the default position, sound any different? There should be a pan law value for the split stereo mode but I'm not sure about non-split actually since it wasn't actually panning anything.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Just did an phase inversion test, just changing the modes (both set in the default position) doesn't change anything, the tracks still null.

I think the old non-split knob simply rises 1 value (percentage maybe) in one side while lowering 1 value in the other side.

[edit:]

Audio Fact Sheet — Ableton Reference Manual Version 10
| Ableton

"...
32.3.9 Panning
Live uses constant power panning with sinusoidal gain curves. Output is 0 dB at the center position and signals panned fully left or right will be increased by +3 dB.
..."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search