The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New to this Ableton thing I am... Questions Condenser Microphones
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

New to this Ableton thing I am... Questions

Just opened up Ableton in an attempt to begin learning it seeing as tho Gibson screwed us Cakewalk Sonar users. Some questions...
3 come to mind right now.

1. I do 90% of my sequencing on hardware (Roland MV8800 & Fantom X7)
do anyone know if I can slave Ableton to my MV88?

2. Where the best place to get packs (free foremost) I need a variety of horns & strings for now.

3. Can anyone point me to some video links of the best beginner tutorials?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
Not sure why you are just not taking your Sonar instruments and samples with you into Live, as you've paid for them and there is no reason to throw them away.

I have not figured out how to do that yet I literally just just decided to open and try Ableton. This interface looks like a foreign language to me hence me asking about "beginner tutorials".

You have to log in of course, but there are few free things here and there in ALP.

Free Ableton Live Packs | Thousands of Samples and Instruments

– Puremagnetik

Thank you. Will check this out.

Packs: expand your Ableton studio with instruments & sounds | Ableton
Posts in category Downloads | Ableton
Able10 - 10 free Packs from Ableton Artists
| Ableton
I've used Sonar since it's 2nd version so this is going to take some getting used to.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

At the Ableton.com site in the Help section, there are a set of beginners tutorials. Live also incorporates lessons in the Help View.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark star Balla View Post
Yes, you can.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark star Balla View Post
Just opened up Ableton in an attempt to begin learning it seeing as tho Gibson screwed us Cakewalk Sonar users. Some questions...

You know Cakewalk Sonar still works, and it will work until you uninstall it or Windows OS 10+ decides not to play nice with it. I know you know this already, but most likely want to get a head start on the learning curve when that happens.

Since you are a hardware guy like me, you will be disappointed in Live's inability to incorporate as much MIDI/external hardware aspects as Sonar. Ableton is still powerful, clean, and solid. I just wish they took the time to incorporate more of the "old school" MIDI implementation such as better CC control/mapping, sysex, program changes, and instrument definition files.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Retra View Post
Since you are a hardware guy like me, you will be disappointed in Live's inability to incorporate as much MIDI/external hardware aspects as Sonar. Ableton is still powerful, clean, and solid. I just wish they took the time to incorporate more of the "old school" MIDI implementation such as better CC control/mapping, sysex, program changes, and instrument definition files.
A lot of this is possible with Max 4 Live devices that allow you to send sysex etc. Some of them are specially crafted to work with specific hardware. For example, I use Roland FA Control and Roland FA Tone Recall to control my Roland FA 08 synth/workstation. I don't think Sonar comes even close to such versatility. You can even program your own devices if you have experience with Max 4 Live.

Some of the advanced stuff is also possible to make using Python and User Remote Scripts.

Andrejs
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search