The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help ! Laptop For Ableton
Old 6th February 2018
Here for the gear

Help ! Laptop For Ableton

Hey there thanks in advance so i am about to start my music production (ableton) stuff for that I primarily need a laptop in my personal experience i have used windows a bit never used mac kinda curious as "THEY" say Mac always & okay its a pretty simple expensive machine but i am buying 2016 high spec 512gb model (kinda budgetary) :
(Correct me if i am wrong)

-it's kinda cheap from 2017 and its like 10 % performance ? Right

-as my main concern is music production i really don't want to compromise on performance the requirements of ableton changes rarely ? so i think macbook would be more than enough and can handle stuff really well ? And will lead me few good years after i become pro :p

- (If budget is low) on 256gb model any suggestions on managment of 256gb capacity with ableton ?

-or should i buy windows 7700hq laptops(dell 7577/asus zenbook pro ux550vw /xps 15/yoga920) or 8th gen which can outperform macbook and give me bang for the buck ? I know os but they say its okaish
Please share your personal experiences and opinions and surely let me know asap
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Today Mac is also its own bag of problems with those yearly updates that can break software or hardware compatibility, so choose your poison wisely.

I use both platforms, they do work well, I prefer windows especially for desktop, for laptops you can still say mac has the advantage with the Core audio driver which makes music software run smoothly without an external audio interface and drivers, but if you are going to have connected an interface at all times from a brand with great drivers, say RME, then windows is as good.

So I would recommend to get a windows laptop from a store with a good return policy, buy one, try it for a couple of weeks and see if everything runs smoothly.
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Nut

Macbook Pro, even the older one, is a good choice. However, check if your hardware is compatible with the new MacOS. I'm not sure if it's true, but I've heard that new MacOSes will support the gear for shorter time, making your hardware obsolete at some point

I would also consider Lenovo Thinkpad P51 if you don't care about weight and looks so much

Even Asus should be OK. I would not recommend Dell - I use 7559 and it's a great laptop, but when the processor (any single core) hits about 70% for even just 1 second, the fans start to work really loud, too loud to mix music
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

I think i give up on using macbook pro and ableton,

every configuration i have tried with different macbooks and highend soundcards,

after 5 minutes, macbook gets superhot and fan kicks in, im im no longer able to concentrate on composing

I now use 16gb ram, 500gb ssd, and the fastest quad core available , freshly installed osx, no other apps than ableton, and a presonus quantum soundcard.

hardly ever exceed 1% cpu as i only use hardware for everything.

please help me....
Old 27th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hi,
I am in a similar path. User an old laptop for Ableton 10, but my old laptop could not handle Ableton. So I had to go for a new laptop in the end. As per Ableton official site, any laptop with 8GB RAM and core i5 will do the job. Finally went for LG Gram after reading through a ton of sites and Ableton live 10 is working like a charm

Hope this helps.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco judas View Post
I

please help me....
What's that?
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwobot View Post
Macbook Pro…
…Quadcore or more. Duocores as in the older 13" are too limited and a waste of money IMO unless your sound sources are mostly hardware.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit1 View Post
i have used windows a bit never used mac kinda curious as "THEY" say Mac always & okay its a pretty simple expensive machine but i am buying 2016 high spec 512gb model (kinda budgetary) :

-or should i buy windows 7700hq laptops(dell 7577/asus zenbook pro ux550vw /xps 15/yoga920) or 8th gen which can outperform macbook and give me bang for the buck ? I know os but they say its okaish

The latter if you like Windows, but don't expect "outperform". I'd read up one each specific model. Like for instance here:

9 Best Laptop for Ableton (laptoplex) or 8 Best laptops for Ableton (Live 10) 2019? (laptopsgeek) as starting points. Then try to get proper reviews as at Arstechnica, PCMag and similar reputable places. Watch out, because model names are sometimes very similar, yet the machines are different. At times suitable PC Laptops are on sale. I almost got one last spring even as I'm a Machead. Then Apple released the new 8-core.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search