The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stop clip playing instantly in Session view?
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Stop clip playing instantly in Session view?

I'm using Live to run a theatre show. So, we have a heap of music/fx etc. that I trigger from within Session view. But if I'm working my way down the Scenes, how do I get the previous Clip to stop the instant I move to the next? At the moment, it stops, but only on the subsequent bar (I believe it is), even though I'm working in free time.

Sounds/samples are set on adjacent tracks so I can control/preset levels, outputs etc., i.e., I'm not just moving down a single track with successive clips.
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Addict

You can turn off clip quantization by selecting the clips on the session view and opening the launch panel in the bottom left (by clicking the L) and changing it from 'Global' to 'None'.

Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quantization is already set to None.

Clips trigger instantly. But when I tab/click to the next Scene, the new clip starts, but the old one plays until the end of the bar before stopping.

Only way I've found of stopping this is to put a clip with zero level immediately after each clip, on the same track. But it's messy and confusing.
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing81 View Post
Quantization is already set to None.
Launch Quantization. Not the same thing. There's no way you are at "none" if the previous clip plays out.
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Launch Quantization. Not the same thing. There's no way you are at "none" if the previous clip plays out.
Quantization = "None". Still plays out to next bar when I start a new clip on another track.

Not sure what else I'm supposed to be doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Stop clip playing instantly in Session view?-screen-shot-2017-11-21-20.49.26.png  
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Quantization = "None". Still plays out to next bar when I start a new clip on another track.

Not sure what else I'm supposed to be doing.
It's the next clip that needs to be set to "none". It's also a good idea to acquaint yourself with the quantization menu in the transport bar. I run all my clips set to global, which means they listen to this setting.

You should also read the chapter about Launching Clips and the Launch Box as the interplay with global in the quantization menu as well as the launch preferences is not always obvious.
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's the next clip that needs to be set to "none".
There is no next clip ... well, not on that track. I have the clips on individual tracks because they have individual routings, levels, etc .etc. As I move through the show I move both down the scenes and across the tracks.

Yes, I can stop a clip playing instantly IF I put a clip afterwards. Which I then set to silent. But it feels like a clumsy, awkward way of doing it. Just want the elements in one scene to stop when I move to another one, regardless of which tracks they're on. Seems weird that it won't do it.
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
There is no next clip ... well, not on that track.

You didn't read those links I posted, did you? Instead of telling yourself, and us, it should work some way you imagine, how about learning yourself how it actually works? Live only seems simple. In reality Live is quite deep.

Her are some hints:
  • Launch Quantization
  • Quantization Menu
  • Global

I'm not going to tell you how to do it. You will learn yourself how to do it. Then you'll know how to get around the next thing as well.
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You didn't read those links I posted, did you?.
Whatever you do in your other life Mikael, don't take up teaching. You seem unable to grasp that two people can work through the same procedure and come to different conclusions or outcomes, or that people can understand the same information differently. Though that's a limitation also shared by whoever wrote the Ableton manual.

You don't know whether or not I read your links. You're just presuming - erroneously in this case. (Though I'd already read through the Launch section so many times I almost know it by heart.)
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm using Live to run a theatre show. So, we have a heap of music/fx etc. that I trigger from within Session view. But if I'm working my way down the Scenes, how do I get the previous Clip to stop the instant I move to the next? At the moment, it stops, but only on the subsequent bar (I believe it is), even though I'm working in free time.

Sounds/samples are set on adjacent tracks so I can control/preset levels, outputs etc., i.e., I'm not just moving down a single track with successive clips.

Check the global quantisation (next to the metronome button at the top). If that is set to none and your clips are set to global it should do what you need.
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 View Post
Check the global quantisation (next to the metronome button at the top). If that is set to none and your clips are set to global it should do what you need.
Quote:
It's also a good idea to acquaint yourself with the quantization menu in the transport bar. I run all my clips set to global, which means they listen to this setting.
Thanks for filling in the proper value in this menu.
Old 22nd March 2019
Here for the gear

Late to the game here, but I am trying to do the same thing so that I can keep my MIDI assignments simple.

So, instead of stacking the clips (which will start and stop just fine with the launch of another clip) I want to put each clip on a separate track (horizontally).

The issue is that the clips when played on separate tracks will play out in their entirety regardless of the quantization setting used.

Any insight on how this can be done?

Thanks!!!
Old 22nd March 2019
Here for the gear

Did you ever figure this out? I am trying to do the exact same thing. thanks!!!
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianjames View Post

The issue is that the clips when played on separate tracks will play out in their entirety regardless of the quantization setting used.

Any insight on how this can be done?
Yes!

These are some relevant clues:
  • Launch Quantization
  • Quantization Menu (The Launch one to the right in the uppermost left Control Bar, not note quantization)
  • Global Launch
  • Stop scene with Scene Launch
  • Clip Launch Modes per clip. I'd suggest you check "Toggle" for what you seem to want here.

What have you tried so far? I'd suggest anyone not acquainted with these terms, or the operations thereof what these represent, to make sure the info view in the bottom left of the Live GUI is open. When you move the mouse pointer over an area of interest you'll be able to read more about it. Also make sure to open the manual from the help menu and look up the terms above (emboldened parts). Global Launch settings interplay with Clip settings, so good idea to try out in separate set different options to learn what can work.

Last edited by Mikael B; 23rd March 2019 at 01:30 AM..
Old 23rd March 2019
Here for the gear

That works when the clips are organized vertically all in a single track. But not when the clips are spread out on separate tracks. Try it.

The first attachment is the midi note assignment.
It works great and I can use the same notes over and over for each song.

In the second one you can see that I have the quantization set correctly.

Seems to be when the clips are spread out on to separate tracks they will play out in entirety regardless of the quantization settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Stop clip playing instantly in Session view?-messages-image-1200379319-.jpg   Stop clip playing instantly in Session view?-messages-image-720632235-.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Maniac
Live has a established workflow.

A track can have only one Clip playing at a time, so when you trigger another Clip in the same track ("vertical") it will stop a previously playing Clip in the same track.

On the other hand, the tracks are independent of each other.

If you want to have a Clip stop in Track 1 when a Clip in Track 2 plays, then put them in different Scenes (the rows), leaving the empty slots from the moved Clips empty, and trigger using the Scenes (you can also Group tracks and use the buttons in the Group track).

Then the Stop button (the square button) in the empty slot will stop the Clip in that Track when triggered.
Old 23rd March 2019
Here for the gear

That works great! But I don't think I'll be able to keep my same 5 midi assignments across all of the scenes with that configuration. Or is it possible?

I guess what I am really trying to do is to have a full set list of songs in one Ableton file- and in these songs, I need to be able to trigger some backing tracks - mostly chords that I play with a foot pedal - at will (and non-linearly).

So I was trying to figure out a simple way to do that but not have to map 200 different midi notes to each clip. Or open a new file for each song.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Seems to be when the clips are spread out on to separate tracks they will play out in entirety regardless of the quantization settings.
Nope, this is obviously not the case. I guess you meant Launch Quantization Settings?

However, you have to find a solution for this in steps. I don't care myself about your, ehm, mapping. You do. Instead of starting there, first find the events you want to initiate giving the effect you want. Then figure out how to trigger those events.

If you start with a given mapping, obviously you won't find a solution easily, as that's backwards. I'm not going to get into the details of this, simply because my objectives are not yours and it's better you make your own experiments. I can only say that I don't see any limitations to stop clips "instantly". If you want more than that at the trigger moment you need to look into tools like Clyphx or more advanced multi-mapping solutions.

Pottering's example illustrates a key Clip concept in Live and your conclusions seem to be going in the right direction, so you can probably find an acceptable solution.

There are a number of ways to achieve stop events and many other scenarios are likely possible. It's much easier to find these if one first decide to learn to understand the nitty-gritty of clips and how to control them. The best way to learn is to get into the clip concepts and experiment a bit.

Last edited by Mikael B; 24th March 2019 at 07:09 PM..
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
That works great! But I don't think I'll be able to keep my same 5 midi assignments across all of the scenes with that configuration. Or is it possible?

I guess what I am really trying to do is to have a full set list of songs in one Ableton file- and in these songs, I need to be able to trigger some backing tracks - mostly chords that I play with a foot pedal - at will (and non-linearly).

So I was trying to figure out a simple way to do that but not have to map 200 different midi notes to each clip. Or open a new file for each song.
From what I understand, you can simply use the same 5 MIDI with 5 Scenes instead of 5 Tracks, "horizontally" instead of "vertically".

Scenes will trigger the whole row.

In addition:

- You can remove the Stop buttons from empty slots, with right-click menu option or Ctrl+E. For when you want a Clip in another Scene to keep playing when you trigger that Scene row.

- You can disable Clips with right-click menu option or 0 (zero) key. Sometimes is more useful than deleting them.
Old 23rd March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks, pottering. No thanks to the dickwad.

So, what I ended up doing was to put the clips back into a single track so they will trigger as I wanted. (to the jerkhole: I've always known how this works, BTW)

And now have mapped the 5 MIDI pads to the master scene play button.

Since that master will trigger all of the clips in that scene at the same time (which I don't want), I simply SOLO the track so that only that one track will output signal.

Not a perfect solution, but It's about the same as paging down in the scene view as I was doing before. Not bad at all on the CPU either.

If anyone knows of a better way to do something like this, I would love to know!
Attached Thumbnails
Stop clip playing instantly in Session view?-messages-image-3852210598-.jpg   Stop clip playing instantly in Session view?-messages-image-3852210598-.jpg  
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Maniac
IMO Mikael B trying to help you too, no need to get personal...
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Maniac
For the solo thing, you can move/copy the Clips to different Scenes, making different Scenes with different "configs".

Some level of either planning or manual intervention will always be necessary, software can't guess, only you know what in what order has to be launched when.
Old 24th March 2019
Here for the gear

Allow me to quote Mikael...

--------
"I don't care myself about your, ehm, mapping. You do. Instead of starting there, first find the events you want to initiate giving the effect you want. Then figure out how to trigger those events."

and

"You didn't read those links I posted, did you? Instead of telling yourself, and us, it should work some way you imagine, how about learning yourself how it actually works? Live only seems simple. In reality Live is quite deep."

-------

Anyway, I am using this forum as it was intended; Asking relative questions about musical technology to others who may have answers.

However, Mikael is not. His goal here is to tell us we are all idiots who need to go back and read the manual. Which, he himself actually may have NOT have read because you can't stop a previous track clip when playing another track clip that is a part of the same scene.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

His goal here is to tell us we are all idiots who need to go back and read the manual.
That's of course completely wrong, except the part that I indeed suggest each and every user read the manual. That would obviously include myself. It was not my intention to come off as snide, so I apologize that my post could come off negatively. I was just trying to be clear (ineffectively it would seem) on the fact that your self-imposed limitation, your mapping, had little bearing on the possibility to start or stop clips.

What you described you want is very possible. I did it last night multiple times before posting, but the ways — setup and operation — to achieve what you described may not be in agreement with what you hoped for.

Quote:
Which, he himself actually may have NOT have read because you can't stop a previous track clip when playing another track clip that is a part of the same scene.
You stop clips with stop events. That's very easy to do. What you want is to do it in a specific way, like with your mapping, or with specific side-effects. I can understand that for a specific piece you need to do this starting/stopping in a specific way, or for your specific making-music flow you'd like multiple events to occur in a predictable way somehow. That's perfectly valid concerns that are still beyond your erroneous conclusion that "you can't stop a previous track clip when playing another track clip that is a part of the same scene.".

To illustrate what I mean:

I'd suggest that this is not using Scenes as intended though. If you want other clips to play, typically you'd make another Scene and activate that instead. I assume that for some reason this is not sufficient for you, but you'll have to forgive me that your particular detailed preferences in this area are of no interest to me. But from what you have described I maintain that I believe it's possible to do this in Live. It might not be in the way you'd prefer.

Last edited by Mikael B; 24th March 2019 at 08:12 PM..
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
IMO Mikael B trying to help you too, no need to get personal...
I was trying to, yes, but I failed to put this across in a helpful manner as I'm firm on that I won't do the work for other people, I'll much rather just point in the right direction. I find it more helpful myself to get pointers, rather than be told exactly how to do it. I'd agree with @ julianjames I can give pointers in a better way.

Your posts are very welcome as you express yourself way better than I do. Thank you for that, @ pottering .

Last edited by Mikael B; 10th April 2019 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Misunderstanding on my part.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search