The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is freezing in ableton worth it?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

is freezing in ableton worth it?

has anyone every had problems with freezing? I'm very apprehensive to use freezing because sometimes it changes the timbre of my sound or sometimes freezing will introduce pops and cracks into my vocals that weren't present before.

I've also seen online videos that show proof that when you freeze and flatten it slightly changes the timing of samples. Does freezing also do this?

Freezing just seems really sketchy in ableton. Maybe my ableton is just messed up.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It works about 97% of the time. You will occasionally get weird behavior. At those times, I just don't freeze the track.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by serratos.diego View Post
has anyone every had problems with freezing? I'm very apprehensive to use freezing because sometimes it changes the timbre of my sound or sometimes freezing will introduce pops and cracks into my vocals that weren't present before.

I've also seen online videos that show proof that when you freeze and flatten it slightly changes the timing of samples. Does freezing also do this?

Freezing just seems really sketchy in ableton. Maybe my ableton is just messed up.
99% of times it's all in your imagination, you have the wrong assumptions on what you do, or you're abusing your effects chain. Those videos, at least the ones I've seen, are made by people that don't know what they're doing.

That said, there are a few gotchas, usually involving modulation or other aspects. Also, there is this with warping. Frozen tracks are warped perfectly with Beat warp, that is pristine until you change your tempo. If you have another default, that could be the reason, or/and if you changed tempo since freezing. There's also a limit to the number of bars you can successfully freeze.

The main alternative to freeze/flatten is recording. The downside is you need to copy/paste any automation into the recorded track. That's a quite fast operation though, at least in Arrangement. Some people export audio, which of course is faster, but with re-importing that's mostly assumptions.

Resampling has the downside of picking up anything on the way to the outputs. That is commonly, depending on your signal path, not what you want.

If you have any issues, like those you describe, you need to be more specific what the actual problems are. Also good if you can share a limited set that illustrates the issues.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search