The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ableton Live user interface REDESIGN feedback
Old 17th May 2017
Here for the gear

Ableton Live user interface REDESIGN feedback

Hey guys,

Recently I posted here my Ableton Live interface survey (https://goo.gl/forms/806wJyPwlgyzaQS32). I finally finished it and I would love to get some feedback from you guys as well, that would really help me to fine tune things. I put a little survey for you again, so if you're willing to help me, this shouldn't take more than 5 minutes: https://goo.gl/forms/owhz8lDHY84hzNGh1

Thanks in advance, Nenad.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nndmlsvc View Post
Hey guys,

Recently I posted here my Ableton Live interface survey (https://goo.gl/forms/806wJyPwlgyzaQS32). I finally finished it and I would love to get some feedback from you guys as well, that would really help me to fine tune things. I put a little survey for you again, so if you're willing to help me, this shouldn't take more than 5 minutes: https://goo.gl/forms/owhz8lDHY84hzNGh1

Thanks in advance, Nenad.
I don't get it? You need feedback on what? I just clicked first link and i see ton of questions which does not have anything in common with your mentioned GUI which is also nowhere to be found??

What am i missing?

Do you run this survey to collect answers about Ableton features (which is what your survey is) or about user interface you designed?

Very confusing. I clicked and expected some cool GUI ideas and questions about that.

I don't want to crush your work or enthusiasm but i can't understand why do you think Ableton staff need you or your skill? Again not trying to piss on your work you seem genuinely capable. Aren't you aware already that they have UI designers and that next Ableton version (Ableton X or 10 whatever) will likely yield new interface with their control on GUI elements in place?

From my experience in Software industry they likely already have next version finished they just polish it and wait for right time to release it. Plus there are more people working on same thing i am pretty much sure that Ableton GUI is not one person job.
Old 18th May 2017
Here for the gear

Hi, did you visit this link https://goo.gl/forms/owhz8lDHY84hzNGh1 ?
There, you should see images like the ones attached here to this post.

They most certainly have UI designers but that's not really important. If I can bring something new and interesting to the table I don't see how they could not hire me.

And to answer your third question, I don't worry about Live 10, I'm not trying to sell them features, I just want to showcase my design skills and how I think.

If you need anything else, please let me know, I would be happy to explain.

Cheers,
Nenad.
Attached Thumbnails
Ableton Live user interface REDESIGN feedback-live-view-detach-window-full.jpg   Ableton Live user interface REDESIGN feedback-live-view-expanded-browser-expanded-mixer-full.jpg   Ableton Live user interface REDESIGN feedback-live-view-expanded-mixer-small-browser-history-full.jpg   Ableton Live user interface REDESIGN feedback-live-view-small-browser-session-view-fx-racks-full.jpg  
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nndmlsvc View Post
Hi, did you visit this link https://goo.gl/forms/owhz8lDHY84hzNGh1 ?
I did but it asked me more questions (at least on the first page) and no images there so after visiting that first link (survey) i dropped my interest because i was confused.

I just checked your attached images. To me your work look pretty impressive and it seems a lot of intelligent effort and thinking went in to this.

If you can then please share full uncompressed images here so we all can see them in full glory.

I honestly wish you all the best in your effort to be noticed at Ableton. You really seem to be good at this stuff.

Have some great weekend.

edit - your mixer view is really like light years improved over standard one. I only dislike green peak lines (in a way green is too much saturated and pronounced. - just my imo)
Old 19th May 2017
Here for the gear

Old 21st May 2017
Here for the gear

Hey guys, in my last survey, some of you pointed out that I asked questions in a condescending way, so I revisited and updated the questions in this version. Please consider taking the survey again, I really wanna know what you guys think. https://goo.gl/forms/jhhkdjAoLnggmeAz2
Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2017
Your work is incredible
Old 22nd May 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Did it. Good stuf! Hope you get the job.
Old 23rd May 2017
Here for the gear

thx
Old 24th May 2017
Gear Addict

I love the extra info and features. I'd really like to see it with the traditional color scheme. Studio One is too flat and too dark imo. Borders make it much easier to separate sections.
Old 24th May 2017
Here for the gear

Cool, thanks!
Old 24th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Just completed your survey, amazing work !
I hope you get the job and that they incorporate your ideas.
best of luck !
Old 24th May 2017
Great job! Would love to see some ideas on multi-clip editing. Studio One is a good reference.
Old 25th May 2017
Here for the gear

Hey Thanks guys! I Appreciate it.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

I quite like it. Reminds me a bit of Studio One with the plugin views in the mixer. However the main issue you are going to run into is that Ableton seems to value sessions view more than they value the mixer. Taking up valuable realestate for the mixer is probably not going to fly. That being said I really like what you got going there. Very slick. I like the visualization for the reverb and compressor. Really wish Studio One would add those to their mini plugin views in the mixer.
Old 26th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Very slick. I like the visualization for the reverb and compressor. Really wish Studio One would add those to their mini plugin views in the mixer.
+1
Old 26th May 2017
Here for the gear

Cool, thank you.
@apoclypse I have imagined the Expended Mixer as a separate page. There's a show/hide button for it in the upper right corner inline with buttons for I/O, Sends, Returns, Mixer, Track Delays, and Crossfades. So, it would not take Session View's real-estate, it's an individual page. You'll have Session View, Arrangement View, and Expended Mixer. Hope this clarifies my idea.

Best,
Nenad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search