The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ableton Live 10, when?
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I just want a modern plugin manager who has only one plugin folder sheesh
Something like this?

I saved every plugin as an .adg. Also allows for setting a master output of -18db for each instrument's rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Ableton Live 10, when?-untitled.jpg  
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm going to just assume that the news yesterday of Ableton buying Cycling '74 is coming ahead of some further Max/Ableton coordination or something. I'm thinking (based on nothing but wild speculation ) that this may be a precursor to Ableton 10 coming later this year. Good things ahead either way
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Something like this?

I saved every plugin as an .adg. Also allows for setting a master output of -18db for each instrument's rack.
There's also an easier solution for VST's (at least on Windows), you can make shortcuts of plugin *.dll and arrange them in one or more logical folders. Scan folder with those shortcuts and you have a customized plugin list.
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Head

1. VST3 Support
2. GUI that properly scales to high DPI displays along with the plugins (Windows)
3. A new darker GUI, preferably looking like this as it's bloody beautiful - https://dribbble.com/shots/2255100-A...design-Concept
4. A built in tool to be able to convert AU projects to VST and vice versa.
5. Plugin Manager
Old 16th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
I still want Ableton Studio, a DAW closely related to Ableton Live but with hybrid audio engine that can disable tracks while not in use, no session view, a mixer that can be used while arranging,
You can use split view now so you can have the mixer visible when arranging.

Quote:
plug-ins that can be seen and opened without having to click on a track and scrolling through a whole thing of plug-ins
You can set plugin windows to not close when switching tracks already in the options.
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Head
In the tradition of "I've got a mate who's got a mate", one of my mates has a mate who runs a studio here in Australia. Supposedly he's beta testing 10 now.

Make of that what you will..
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm70 View Post
In the tradition of "I've got a mate who's got a mate", one of my mates has a mate who runs a studio here in Australia. Supposedly he's beta testing 10 now.

Good enough for me!
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

i hope they don't mess with the graphic design of it. i love that flat industrial look to it. i hate the slick/emulation style of other daws. especially the ultra funky colours in some of them.

my bet is a bunch of implementations but nothing too dramatic. i see chord mode coming to push, similar to maschine. hopefully some real-time swing function like on traditional drum machines. this would be great to have a toggle on each clip or track to enable the global swing to control it. probably won't happen
Old 23rd June 2017
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:

I believe this "rumor" is more true then ever and that we are not that far of Ableton Live X10 release. Probably month or two until some more solid info.
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Maniac

Better GUI? unpossible!
9.7 is perfect IMHO, I hope they don't mess upp the midi mapping in future versions...
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

I'd like more pulldown tabs across the top to access shortcuts and other commands that are only referenced deep in the manual. I flip between multiple DAWs and having the tabs to find ( and remember ) such things would be immensely helpful. They don't take up any more space since tabs are already there, and hey, if you don't need them, then don't click on them. I see no downside.
Old 24th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Yeah I saw that post yesterday, and I'll expand here what I mentioned on Twitter: I don't know if it's the laptop-sized resolution or the dark theme maybe coloring my opinion, but that looks worse to me than the current UI. It looks cooler/more 'modern' but doesn't provide better usability and is uglier, imo. It seems to me that the designer is acting too much like a designer and not truly thinking about usage, despite his claims and questionnaires that suggest the opposite. The CPU meter vagueness, stacking at the top (not even including the project tabs! re: how-to choke a processor), huge empty spaces throughout (notably the headers, browser area, track columns around the clips buttons and mixer areas) and track groupings up top, all show me that he's 'designing' and not building on the efficiency of the current UI. He does have some interesting ideas though, and he's obviously a talented designer, but this mock up has lost sight of the strengths of Ableton's UI (which long ago got rid of many of the issues he's reintroduced). The Expanded Mixer view is an interesting idea but it sure looks like a mess; perhaps in actual use it could work.

His quote at the end is a nice though:
Quote:
Ed and I discussed my unsolicited redesign and he gave me his and team’s feedback as well as some useful insights on how to improve as a designer.

Let me finish this by saying: Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.
Old 24th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdpath View Post
I'd like more pulldown tabs across the top to access shortcuts and other commands that are only referenced deep in the manual. I flip between multiple DAWs and having the tabs to find ( and remember ) such things would be immensely helpful. They don't take up any more space since tabs are already there, and hey, if you don't need them, then don't click on them. I see no downside.
The downside would be wasted space on the UI. I've many many many times sat with Ableton open full-screen while I had the digital manual open on another desktop or the physical manual open on my actual desk.
Old 24th June 2017
Lives for gear

it's very likely that the new version is presented at this year's loop. i get all the public beta versions and there is nothing new in there. mostly bug fixes and small changes, sometimes to push2' behaviour under certain menus. nothing of note really.

as far as having an ableton push with a built-in soundcard, i don't really see it. too many issues with drivers, os upgrades etc. not worth it having someone not buying it because the converters are whatever. but a push with built-in midi outs, maybe 4 of them, maybe some cv connections would be amazing. but i don't think there is any new version of push this year. or maybe they do two versions, like the akai mpc. the basic and the super advanced with cv, midi etc. but that's not really their thing so i think they will stick to what they do best. and push 2 is already pretty good. they might improve the pads, make it a bit lighter for taking it around (though most of the weight is the big rubber mat that forms the pad grid)
Old 25th June 2017
Gear Addict
I don't think Ableton will use Loop to announce products. I think it is meant to be mostly a music event, not "Ableton-fest".

https://nzmusician.co.nz/features/on...-november-4-6/

"It’s summit for music makers. This is not a product-focused event for us at all, and quite a few of the presenters and speakers do not use our products."
Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

But how can he beta test when it's still alpha?
Old 26th June 2017
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
But how can he beta test when it's still alpha?
Well even if it's alpha the whole process is being called "beta" test for the sake of understanding (this is usual practice in all companies i ever deal with)
Old 27th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricalSound View Post
You can use split view now so you can have the mixer visible when arranging.
cept you technically need two screens for that, I need this to be useful on a single screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricalSound View Post
You can set plugin windows to not close when switching tracks already in the options.
You misunderstood what I said, I meant that I'd like to have an overview of all the plug-ins on a track without having to scroll through the whole device rack or having to right click on the device view selector

And before anyone brings up the Options.txt option to have this, it is glitchy, unsupported and Ableton actually advices not to use it
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
cept you technically need two screens for that, I need this to be useful on a single screen

You misunderstood what I said, I meant that I'd like to have an overview of all the plug-ins on a track without having to scroll through the whole device rack or having to right click on the device view selector

And before anyone brings up the Options.txt option to have this, it is glitchy, unsupported and Ableton actually advices not to use it
Yeah, I have used the Options.txt hack myself, and at best it's inconsistent... Having an overview like PT or Logic or whatnot would be amazing. Throw in "takes", real "notes", comping, audio nudging like pt etc... and some more that can't be THAT difficult, then I will be getting a lot closer to real real happy with Ableton...(not that I don't love it now, but hate having to switch back and forth daws for different things...)
Old 28th June 2017
Deleted bc6012f
I am 99.67% positive that they evolved that plugin view aka mixer hack via Options.txt and it is ready for next version of Live.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted bc6012f View Post
I am 99.67% positive that they evolved that plugin view aka mixer hack via Options.txt and it is ready for next version of Live.
cool, be great if they did!
Old 29th June 2017
afa
Gear Maniac

Quote:
At least on windows, they are two separate windows that you can put on the same screen, side by side.
Old 27th August 2017
Gear Head

Have you seen latest Rhytmn Roulette on Youtube featuring Dj Jazzy Jeff? Watch at 4:12
Old 27th August 2017
Gear Maniac

What about it?
Old 28th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aith View Post
What about it?
Watch coloring on first track. Normally when you color a clip in Live, only upper clip name area is colored. In that video, also waveform area is colored. Same thing in this Instagram photo by Jazzy Jeff:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWP2o4oF_Kg/?hl=fi

Also in that Rhytmn Roulette episode, watch that browser. In normal Live, there is Categories and Places, but now there seems to be third one saying Selection or something.

I'm not claiming that this is Live 10, but I have never used or seen version like that.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Same here. Wife's nephew is using Live 10 Beta now. I found out after I told him I was considering getting Ableton again, I have 7 Standard, but have been using Studio One 3 and Logic Pro X recently. He told me to wait for Live 10 which should be coming out near the end of this year.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Same here. Wife's nephew is using Live 10 Beta now. I found out after I told him I was considering getting Ableton again, I have 7 Standard, but have been using Studio One 3 and Logic Pro X recently. He told me to wait for Live 10 which should be coming out near the end of this year.
Good, I just bought Suite.

:(
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Don't feel bad, most of the time companies will give you the upgrade free if you've purchased within a certain time frame or give a heavy discount for upgrading depending on the features of the new release.
Old 11th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Don't feel bad, most of the time companies will give you the upgrade free if you've purchased within a certain time frame or give a heavy discount for upgrading depending on the features of the new release.
Did you ask him what he thinks about Live 10? And will it be a major upgrade over 9?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search