The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ableton Live 10, when? Control Surfaces
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolol View Post
Yea that would be a solution! One of those plugins is ST Decapitator. It sounds noticeable different in 96k.
I have the ST bundle and would love to hear decapitator on drums in a good room @ 96K. I am looking forward to hearing Drum Bus. The tuning feature looks very useful.

Last edited by Dysanfel; 1 week ago at 03:00 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I have the ST bundle and would love to hear decapitator on drums in a good room @ 96K. I am looking forward to hearing Drum Bus. The tuning feature looks very useful.
You picked up the freebie from Soundtoys yet? - Little plate - nice little plate reverb
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah its a nice little reverb, made me look at their stuff more deeply too....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Yeah its a nice little reverb, made me look at their stuff more deeply too....
Highly recommended!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You picked up the freebie from Soundtoys yet? - Little plate - nice little plate reverb
I have! But I haven't used it yet. I am about to track some vocals so I will definitely be taking it for a drive.
By the way Goony our gear list is more similar than different. =)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
I like it.

What I don't like is the new automation. I thought I could get used to but I ****ing hate it. I hate it so much that I'm probably going to cancel my pre-order and stick to Live 9.
+1
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way Goony our gear list is more similar than different. =)

Yes I see you got the Time & Tone Softube bundle from Focusrite too eh
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I see you got the Time & Tone Softube bundle from Focusrite too eh
I did....trying very hard not to take the Softtube plunge. I cant afford it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did....trying very hard not to take the Softtube plunge. I cant afford it.
Lol, i know that, am trying to resist the British Console A for my console 1, but its tempting..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Things I'm sad 10 isn't going to include:

more UI customization. Yeah, there's some and there's going to be more, but I was really hoping for something slightly more drastic, and maybe some 'modes' options, where you could automatically have a mixing mode maybe, sort of like templates, but within sets, accessible at any point. to be able to sticky a window with an visualizer on it or something could be very useful (i don't think this is even possible on a two-monitor set up, correct me if i'm wrong though!). i think there's a LOT they could've done with UI customization via different uses and modes and such...

master-level macros that can control anything within the set: you can technically do this by midi mapping anything to an external device, but if ableton were to allow this natively within the program, that could really be beneficial for performance. Probably can be done via M4L already, though.

the ability to have switches, buttons, faders, etc instead of just knobs for groups. again, can probably be done via M4L, obviously can be done when creating your own instruments there, but yeah...i'd love to group native instruments to things other than just knobs.

anything to make groove more intuitive or useful. maybe this one's on me for not further exploring it, but it seems pretty underpowered at the moment from what I do know of it and I could imagine it being more useful but it seems maybe sort of forgotten for the moment...

And probably other things I can't think of at the moment.... Going to go back to writing music now though
Old 1 week ago
I've been playing with live 10 beta for 2 weeks now: I love it! There's so many great new features. I'm still a bit weary about the new Collections feature but all the rest is great (Capture, Drum Bus, Echo, Pedal, Nested grouping, Wavetable, new Skin, ...) There's some great new content, presets and audio effect racks too.

Great job Ableton!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Could someone with the beta and serum do a site to site comparison to wavetable?
I don’t need a comparison to see that there is no comparison. Ableton’s is very minimal and Serum ‘s is not.

Last edited by breakinrecords; 1 week ago at 04:48 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Serum has more filter models so it can go places wavetable can't.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I know it has less features but I'm interested in a simple sound comparison. And in case of filter models i just can use LFO Tool which has the same filters i think.
There's certainly always a possibility to make a comparison, and the new L10 wavetable synth could be the jewel of them all.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I know it has less features but I'm interested in a simple sound comparison. And in case of filter models i just can use LFO Tool which has the same filters i think.
There's absolutely no point to doing this, specially since Wavetable can't even load custom wavetables.

Wavetable is extremely basic. It only has two basic warp modes, it can't do sync or fm between oscillators, it has the same Cytomic filters as every other Ableton instrument, super basic LFOs, almost no customizable routing (you can't even route each wavetable to it's own filter) and no effects whatsoever.

I don't even know why they bothered making this thing. It's so basic it hurts.

Last edited by ohmicide; 1 week ago at 06:04 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I'm with ohmicide on this one, it's super basic and redundant in this day and age, also it's a huge CPU hog even more so than Serum which is ridiculous considering how basic it is.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I will not upgrade to 10. As ohmicide said, the new automation is the worst one I have every seen in any DAW...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Maybe for you, but i just wanna here a basic sound comparison.
Dude. You just don't get it. There's no point to this comparison because all you're doing is comparing different wavetables. There's seriously no point to doing that. It's like opening Serum and going through the wavetables and comparing them to each other. All you're doing is just hearing different wavetables.

It's not like comparing the supersaw of Sylenth1 to the supersaw of Spire or the vintage saw waves from Diva to the ones from Omnisphere 2. Those are things you can compare between different synths because they're trying to emulate similar (or sometimes the exact same) things.

Quote:
Why do you need effects when you can use abletons effects the same way as you would for other ableton instruments?
Because you can modulate all the effect's parameters with the same LFO shapes or envelopes that you used to modulate the rest of your patch (WT position, filters, etc.).
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman View Post
I will not upgrade to 10. As ohmicide said, the new automation is the worst one I have every seen in any DAW...
I need to spend more time with Live 10 to figure out if I'll be upgrading or not..

My issue is that pretty much everything I work on is paid work so I can't jeopardize not being able to access the project in the future if I decide to cancel my pre-order.

However, the more I think about the new automation while working in Live 9 the more I realize just how much faster it is. I don't think getting used to Live 10's automation will make it as fast as it is in Live 9. Idk, this is going to be a tough decision.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I upgraded not because I find live 10 all that exiting but because if you don't upgrade now you loose the discount (which Ableton doesn't offer very often), and seeing how Ableton updated live 9 to 9.5 and 9.7 gives me hope that some cool stuff might happen later in the live 10 game.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Wende View Post
I upgraded not because I find live 10 all that exiting but because if you don't upgrade now you loose the discount (which Ableton doesn't offer very often), and seeing how Ableton updated live 9 to 9.5 and 9.7 gives me hope that some cool stuff might happen later in the live 10 game.
I think Live 9.5 was probably worth $50 if they wanted to charge. What do you think?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think Live 9.5 was probably worth $50 if they wanted to charge. What do you think?
Hell yeah that update was a huge, Live10 seems to be focusing on stuff under the hood, but i'm guessing we'll see exiting stuff soon now that ableton owns max4live
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
So the they will sound almost the same if i play similar waves?
I'd think not. This new synth is going to have to fit into the world of existing wavetable synths out there, like Massive. Z3TA+ 2, Spire, Serum, Codex and so on. These already are quite different. Watch Halloween Treat - Let's Compare Massive/Spire/Serum/Codex for a comparison for a few of them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
There's certainly always a possibility to make a comparison, and the new L10 wavetable synth could be the jewel of them all.
This.
Old 1 week ago
I went more in depth with Live 10's new automation mode and came to the conclusion that I will be cancelling my pre-order if no change is made before the official release. Recorded a video about the problems I have with it, posted it on centercode and sent it to Ableton support. Doubt there will be any change before the release but it's worth a try, I guess.

Here's the video in case anyone's interested:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
So if you can compare serum to massive why not serum to wavetable?
You can always do a comparison, but that doesn't mean the compared will be determined to compare.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
What DAW can process a single track with more than one core?
You can definitely do that in Bitwig
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
I went more in depth with Live 10's new automation mode and came to the conclusion that I will be cancelling my pre-order if no change is made before the official release. Recorded a video about the problems I have with it, posted it on centercode and sent it to Ableton support. Doubt there will be any change before the release but it's worth a try, I guess.

Here's the video in case anyone's interested:

Everything you mention here is on point. There is absolutely no sense and benefits to this new automation mode. It only makes the workflow worse. Unbelievable, what were they thinking??
Old 1 week ago
Hmm some of the things in your video look annoying. I can see the snapping to grid driving me up the bloody wall...

I'm not sure it would make me cancel my pre-order though. Do you think the 'extra steps' can be ignored and committed to muscle memory once played with enough?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburden View Post
Hmm some of the things in your video look annoying. I can see the snapping to grid driving me up the bloody wall...

I'm not sure it would make me cancel my pre-order though. Do you think the 'extra steps' can be ignored and committed to muscle memory once played with enough?
No amount to muscle memory is going to make it less difficult to work on multiple tracks automation at the same time without lots of scrolling and looking around. It makes things confusing when working on things like build-ups. I do so much automation that some project would become 10 times larger if I showed all the automation at the same time. Working on those projects would be a complete nightmare with this new automation mode the way it is now. Just constant scrolling and looking around to try and find the tracks I'm trying to work on.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search