View Single Post
Old 13th February 2014
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Yeah, you're right that there's been some very fine work done using the Studio 100's but then there were many brilliant recordings recorded with the Altec 604's as the SOLE monitors. Really I think iit comes down to the people doing the recording, not the monitor involved. I've always believed that someone with great ears and musical instincts can monitor through pretty well anything that makes sound. Conversely somebody without a clue could monitor through Minimain 12's and still come up with crap.

The Response Two's are IMO a good example of the kind of sound you get in the home - pleasant to listen to but a country mile from anything resembling "accurate". Maybe the Studio 100's are way different.
Probably also worth putting a distinction between recording and mixing. Once things are recorded well, to mix them is a different task and doesn't need the same tool.

Not sure the 100's are more 'accurate' than Response 2's. They do have a colour to the sound which is quite apparent, especially after using PSI for a year, but in the end it is just another way of presentation and i actually like it.