View Single Post
Old 28th April 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeebangs View Post
ssl bus comp, hardware vs plugin
I have a DIY Gyraf GSSL SSL mix buss compressor clone, so I can just compare that one to the Waves SSL Buss Compressor and the UAD Precision Buss Compressor.

GSSL Hardware:
The hardware gives the mix more boldness, authority and adds something round and shiny to the high end. So the mix really sounds "better" and "larger" and "more exciting" with the hardware.

Waves SSL Buss Comp:
Using the Waves, the mix sounds just more compressed. No "better", "larger" or "more exciting". Even more, it sounds a bit less exciting.
Besides that, all of the controls behave very differently, where little adjustments on the hardware really change the sound, while (at least in comparision), changing anything (atk, rel, thres, ratio) on the Waves has less effect to my ears.

UAD 4K Buss Compressor:
A short demo of the UAD 4K Buss Compressor did not reveal anything too different from the Waves , IMHO.

UAD Precision Buss Compressor:
The UAD Precision Buss Compressor is somewhere in between those two, it adds more boldness to the mix but does not give as much "excitement" as the hardware does. But it is my favorite ITB buss compressor, that I feel to be closest to a hardware (as far as I can tell).

But if I just want to compress stuff pretty heavily (like on a drum buss, with up to 3-6 dB of GR sometimes), the Waves seems to handle this better while the GSSL starts to crap out earlier. But that said, it's a bit hard to tell, because the meters on the GSSL show very different readings than the plugin (GSSL: the needle does not move at all when I hear it working nicely. Waves: The needle shows at least 2-3 dB of GR before I hear anything that I start to like).