thread: Yamaha n Series
View Single Post
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenaiboy View Post
I've been enjoying this thread over the last couple of months while the boss isn't looking over my shoulder I'm still only up to page 32 though...

I just brought a Presonus ACP-88 compressor to use with my N-12. The compression on the N12 isn't bad but I just wanted to have a bit more control.

I'm pretty new to compressors (and mixers in general) but wanted to know if it's possible to use the compressor when doing a hardware mix? I noticed it's compressing when I first record into Cubase but I can't see / hear any difference when turning on the compression for a hardware mix.

Thanks

Hi. I am not an expert of the N12 since I just got mine and I am in the learning stages myself. And I don't use Cubase either. But I would like to know what you mean by "hardware mix"? Are you referring to the live output from say the ST/OUT while in record mode? Not sure I follow you on that.

However, I think the N12's preamps and compression is about one of the best I ever heard in a small recording unit. I had a few Roland VS that came close, but to me, this mixer is top shelf. And most firewire interfaces that I have owned never came close. And I mean, what you hear tracking is what is recorded. After that, just add your plugins (I use the UAD-2) and bring down the levels to the mix....