thread: Yamaha n Series
View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2010
Here for the gear

Yeah, I don't like the headphones either

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
...but something I nothiced that I am totally disappointed with is the headphones output. I have the ST/OUT going thru my headphone amp and I have the CTRL/R going to my monitors (so I can turn them down while tracking). That is the way I always worked. But I hooked up my headphones to the headphones jack and it is terrible. It sounds like I am listening to my song thru a shoebox. Apparently Yamaha didn't put any innovation or effort into the headphone jacks and now I am find them useless. All I seen were great reviews of the N12, but never seen anyone comment on those jacks. Anyone else notice it?
~ Ed
Yeah I've been tracking with my N12, and I love it, and it sounds great. But I agree that the headphone amps in it kind of suck. You should be able to strap on a huge pair of headphones and crank that **** up and hear clean power, but it just doesn't have the power - especially for tracking drums.

Here's how I deal with it: I have an Outlaw Audio RR2150 (basically just a stereo receiver) that gets its inputs from one of the N12 monitor outs. That RR2150 lets you turn on and off the monitor speakers I have and also lets you independently adjust the headphone level. That thing has a ton of clean power for headphones.

Basically I think you need to get either a dedicated headphone amp (I don't really know which ones are good), or some other piece of gear like the receiver I use.

But having it hooked up the way I described I can't give my drummer (isolated in the drum room listening to headphones) a different mix than the mix we hear off of the monitors by the computer/N12 because the headphones and speakers are both powered from the same source. I would have to use Aux sends for that, but then I would need a different headphone amp than the one on the RR2150. There is an Aux 1 headphone jack, but it's no better than the main headphone jack.

I wish there was a way to get inside the N12 and bolt in some serious headphone amp power