View Single Post
Old 1st October 2009
Lives for gear

Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
The trouble with the Ultimate Modular is that unless you build the modules yourself and are an electronics wizard, $50,000 isn't going to be anywhere near enough money to claim the title. You would need some very expensive modules in order to make it The King: Bode shifters, sequencers, filterbanks, thru-zero oscillators, waveshapers, a small city of differentiated AND duplicate filters, unusual VCA's and VCO's.
Good luck topping Hans Zimmer or T.O.N.T.O. w/ less than a half million greenbacks. That would be quite a feat there!

as i said earlier i think adding some modular synths to an already functioning music lab is a worthy thing (even some nord modulars or as said NL2X's) but "building the best biggest modular synth ever" just seems kind of arbitrary.. i don't see it gaining anything for your school but momentary prestige on matrixsynth and the envy of a handful of people who even know what a modular synth is...

also, i think "biggest" doesn't have anything to do with "best". just look at a decent buchla or well appointed euro rack system or modcan or serge...

plenty of people have a good head start on you.

Ursa Major Recording Studio