View Single Post
Old 9th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
i have to disagree there. i love analog sounds and drum machines in general but there's just a wealth of possibilities for processing/synthesis and sequencing that just didn't exist "back then". plus... the vintage synths and machines are still around to play with too so you still can get those solid sounds as building blocks. not knocking the past. i embrace it. i just think sound design in general has made massive leaps especially what's going on in electronic music. you may have to look a little harder for it but it's definitely there. there's still a long thread of Morton Subotnik running through lot's of stuff these days.

i'm curious what younger artists you are into and what you find interesting or inspiring that was made at a later date?
I would agree that "sound design" has made large steps in the last decade or so, but if those sounds are being used musically is a different matter.
There seems to be a new generation of electronic "artist" that feel the sound is the main thing.
I like music where the sound was designed to support the music and THAT seems lacking to these ears.