View Single Post
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hmm.. so in this case, I probably wouldn't talk about increased memory clock like important attribute for DAW performance, until someone really proves that.

I directly asked Pete about that, because he did Ryzen tried it with different clock speeds and Dawbench.
Yes, he did. And I said "if" for a reason. Someone else linked to another person doing tests saying that increasing memory speed makes a big difference. So they can't both be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
And yes I agree with you, Ryzen's architecture with separate 4 core CCXs brings some challenges (as tradeoff for cheaper price and mfg. yield rate with smaller die) with regards to scheduling and sharing of cache data via Infinity Fabric, which is clocked together with memory. So while higher clock might be important for some workload with more intensive data sharing between CCXs, it definitely won't apply to everything. I can imagine, heavily threaded DAW workload with many individual track workers doesn't necessarily benefit so much from smaller latency at infinity fabric.
Which might be bit different than some games or compression algorithms with more intensive cache sharing architecture, where that increased memory clock speed might give you couple of percent.
Although different architecture.. with Intel setups, speed of RAM doesn't really matter and when I tested it with various DAW workloads, difference was at level of statistical error.

Michal
Intel not benefiting from faster RAM is completely irrelevant if the issue is the cross-ccx data sharing. Again, if.....