View Single Post
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrismaPhonic View Post
Sure, I had to expand the testing environment to way more than 40 tracks to achieve this. Instead of 40 tracks, I made the environment 70 tracks, each loaded with 8, and then called that grouping a "block", and then duplicated that grouping a bunch.

It was a very long test, took me nearly an hour to complete! In the end I had 10 groups of 70 tracks in each all fully loaded before capping out in Reaper testing with Pro-Q.
O.K, interesting.

I was about to ask how long it took to activate 5K plugins one at a time.

As a rule I selected heavier resource intensive plugins to keep the total number within the 320 max ( 8 inserts per 40 x sine track). That keeps the testing time down , especially when testing across a range of latency settings.

The current crop of Ryzen/i7's are definitely a challenge due to the huge resources available.

Quote:
EDIT: Just saw you edited your post to include a question about interface. This was testing with my Lynx Hilo Mastering DAC
Cool, if you do get some time , it would be good to see some results at lower latencies , maybe just stick to the more resource intensive plugins to keep testing time down.

Aside from the DAW comparative performance which is a whole other area, the Ableton results are raising a few questions as to why there are even larger performance variables with the Ryzen against the i7. It could come down to compilers , which is opening another can or worms.