View Single Post
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Every product or service in life makes "a profit of the user". That's how most humans on this planet make a living, whether it's selling home-made bread or software. Asking for monetary compensation in exchange for your work doesn't mean "your only motivation is making profit". Right now you're a student living in a bubble, but later I guess you will be charging for your services , therefore you will be making a "profit of the client" that uses your services. Unless you're born rich and don't have to work to sustain your family, of course.

First of all, it's clear when you say "every product or service in life makes a profit off the user", you're referring to commercial products, or services. You're not talking about things like charity or community outreach. You're entirely dismissing things like charity and community outreach, and I'm curious why? Aren't these good things?

You're right, if you produce and sell proprietary, commercial software for profit, you can obviously have motivations other than making a profit. But your primary motivation is in fact to make a profit. Otherwise, it would not be proprietary, commercial software.

We should not make assumptions about each other, as we do not know each other. But secondly, you appear to be the one living in a bubble. I'm just calling like I sees it, and clearly, you're living in a bubble, lil spaceman.

My main focus in IT is more along the sysadmin, and penetration testing lines, rather than software development. So the services I will be producing, are not going to be programs that I have written, in large. Yes I do plan on further engaging in capitalism once I start my professional career in IT, but that is an act of pragmatism. You see, I'm an Anarchist, but a very pragmatic one.

But making money is not my main motivation for what I've chosen to study, and engage in. My main motivation comes from my ethos, not the desire for pesos. I'm not sure if you understand the concepts of volunteering and community, or the concept of trying to change the world.

Having said all of that, you're getting hung up on something that is not the point. You're missing the point.

In short, security is the point. Accountability, the ability to be audited. The ability to verify that the code running on your machine is not malicious.

Computers have become so incredibly important in our society, and security was not a main focus during the development of the internet, which is what connects us all together, so the network infrastructure we use to communicate is inherently insecure.

Think about this. Think about a computer that might be used to keep track of aeronautic flight times and flight paths. To do any sort of task on a computer, a program has to be written to do that, so let's say we have a commercial flight time and flight path program produced by a Swiss company. It's closed source, proprietary software.

Do you see anything at all wrong with this? I sure do. You cannot audit the code. It's closed source, proprietary software, so the source code cannot be openly audited to determine if it's doing what it's supposed to do, it's secure, and it's not blatantly malicious.

Can you imagine anything bad that might happen if the Swiss company happened to be a front for a government that is hostile to the country you live in?

Do you get the importance of being able to audit the code that runs on your computer? What if your computer is part of a nuclear reactor? What if it controls the power grid? What if you just do online banking and buy **** on amazon?

Think about cryptography. Think about the software implementations of cryptographic protocols, such as SSL/TLS. Imagine OpenSSL is instead Closed(ForProfit)SSL. SSL/TLS is critical for the success of e-commerce. Do you think it's a good thing to be able to audit software implementations of SSL/TLS?