View Single Post
Old 7th February 2015
Here for the gear

There are many 'instrument creation environments' out there - MAX/MSP, Puredata, Supercollider, Reaktor, even DAWs like Renoise and Logic. But if one uses a general purpose programming language like C++ or what I elected to use - Purebasic - for synthesis, it is like building a structure with tiny bricks rather than pre-fabricated modules - it takes a lot longer but the flexibility and control over the end result is unparalleled. One is not bound by the look and feel of GUIs and components or even by DSP restrictions - want to perform sub-sample bitwise processing or binary-level manipulation? Sure! And there is just SO much to explore.

For example, simply picking up a bezier curve and looking at it for a bit leads to: What happens if I modulate the control points with low-through-to-audio frequency oscillators, or modulate them stochastically (with probability functions), or, use the bezier curve to warp the phase of a sine oscillator instead of using a vector? (that's what I'm trying next). It's exciting anticipating the results when trying out these things - sometimes the outcome is underwhelming but the more one attempts, the more likely it is that an interesting outcome is not too far away.

The other thing is that for some strange reason there are not many 'show and tell examples' out there of the source of an actual, usable synth coded from scratch
It's true that of all those interested in sound shaping, the percentage of people operating in this space is tiny, but still...Oh, let alone examples of synth code which illustrate techniques outside the usual subtractive 'here is an oscillator through a filter with envelope' paradigm. I have sought to correct that