View Single Post
Old 15th July 2014
I have the Roland Jupiter-50, which has the same Supernatural Synth as the Integra (I believe), as well as many of the Supernatural acoustic sounds. Most of these are very, very good. Plus of course the Integra has thousands of those legacy sounds, many of which are also very usable (I used to have an XV5050 as well). As I am sure you have read, the Integra has received universally great reviews all over the place.

The Integra has so many great sounds, that it could probably be the sole instrument for many people. But that seriously depends upon what kind of music you do. The onboard VA synth sounds very good, and is very flexible, but is very "clean" sounding IMHO. It's strong points are poly synth brass type sounds, analogish strings, and definitely lots of 80's-type keyboard sounds. The Supernatural Acoustic sounds give you very realistic pianos, EPs, strings, bells, and winds, while the organs, brass, and guitars are acceptable but not stellar. The legacy JV and XV library gives you every 80's and 90's sound ever made, many of which are still very usable today, but many are quite dated as well.

If you're making hardcord electronic music, dub and whatnot, the Integra probably won't give you much. But if your tastes stray more toward pop and rock, film, new age... basically anything except hardcore electronic stuff, the Integra could be a great asset.

It also depends upon how you work. The Integra ONLY operates in 16-channel multi mode. This is fine, because it offers dedicated MFX for each of the 16 parts, so playing one part at a time isn't a problem. But it really is designed for MIDI sequencing. You can certainly put parts on the same channel to layer sounds, and use a controller keyboard to do splits and all kinds of fun stuff. But in the studio, it is the ultimate 16-part sequencing monster rack unit, probably the best ever made.

Last edited by keybdwizrd; 15th July 2014 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: typo