Old 14th November 2006
Gear interested

Reggae mix

14th November 2006
Old 14th November 2006
Lives for gear

mix

I'm a huge reggae fan so I'm biased.

Overall everything sounds pretty good. The drums and bass could be featured more. They both seem a bit distant and don't drive the song enough.

Check out the original wailers mix and try to match that, since that's what the players seem to be going for.
SK1
14th November 2006
Old 14th November 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

Great job ! What fun.

A few comments.

Where's the kick ?? Could have some more definition and even volume.

at 1:27 there's a weird overload thing in the vocs. Clean it up. Maybe more drastic high pass on that voc part. Taking out some 300-400 might help.

Also the clav/key part is a bit high and overpowering .... I'd take it down. That would give the bass and drums more room as per the last poster. Also a little more high pass on the clav comes to mind. Let the bass live there.

I'm enjoying it.
cjbdrmr
14th November 2006
Old 14th November 2006
Gear interested

Excellent. Thanks guys. Great advice...
15th November 2006
Old 15th November 2006
Gear addict

Another big reggae fan... Reggae is about all that I play and record actually...

Here's what I'd do for this mix:

- I'd remove the effects you have on the back-vocals, and I'd pan them all around to give a really englobing effect. (I'd track extra back-vocal tracks if necessary, until you have enough to create a very "airy" wall of back vocals). BTW this would be the way i'd go with this, but it's also good the way you did it, just different. The lead vocal sounds great btw.. he sounds like a mix of Toots and Ken Boothe.

- I'd completely retrack the organ part. It's the weakest link in the song, if you ask me. It sounds like a D.I. track from a toy organ, or an unprocessed B4 track.... If retracking wasn't an option, I'd at least try to pass it through a nice guitar amp, or try to get it some personnality through effects like Scarbee Vintage Keyboard FX...

- The clavinet also sounds a bit fake, but it's satisfactory.. I'd pan it somewhere to the side

- I'd add wah-wah on the guitar track so that it's completely opened on every "cha-ka, cha-ka". And you know what, i'd leave the "cha-ka" for the organ, and I'd retrack a guitar track that only does "Chak - chak - chak" instead of "chaka chaka chaka".. The way it is right now makes it a bit busy and draws attention from the song itself. (the guitar track is also loud a bit)

- The drums sounds good, but I'd add reverb on the side-stick and I'd try to do something to the Toms to make them more present and more "cartboardish" like the toms in old-reggae.

That's about all I can think of. It's pretty good overall, the feel is there. The singer has a great vibe.
15th November 2006
Old 15th November 2006
Lives for gear

Besides the lack of kick....

this sounds fantastic. i listen to alot of reggae and its nic to hear someone recording some roots.

the only other thing i would do is mix the teeny tiny guitar licks back to where the upstrokes are, i think they are too prominant.
cjbdrmr
15th November 2006
Old 15th November 2006
Gear interested

You guys rock!

I'm listening...

15th November 2006
Old 15th November 2006
Lives for gear

Hey thats funny, where from the same hood and I'm working on a reggae album right now as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonv View Post
Another big reggae fan... Reggae is about all that I play and record actually...
I agree with most of what you said, too much guitars, not enough kick and you need verb (try a spring for the vintage flavor) on the side stick. The wah is also a good idea and you could lower the bubble (organ) and add a crank (piano skank-M1 rules at this...) and have the skank only on the up, no doubling. You're getting there...

Respect
15th November 2006
Old 15th November 2006
Lives for gear

If you re-mix it please post an update so we can hear the change.
cjbdrmr
15th November 2006
Old 15th November 2006
Gear interested

SK1
15th November 2006
Old 15th November 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

Sounds great.

I'd say still more kick.

Also there's something in the high mids of the lead voc that's biting a LITTLE to much for me. I'd find it and take it down 1/2 db or so with a fairly wide Q (4-5 at a guess)
just to warm up the lead voc a little.

Makes me want to find another reggae band to work with !!

Good job.

24th November 2006
Old 24th November 2006
Gear interested

Reminds me of the specials from years ago! The tune has all the elements of a good Reggie tune and that includes wanting me to get up and dance.
I do feel the beat and that’s what Reggie is all about to me personally, wicked tune and great vocals etc.
Really nice work
cjbdrmr
25th November 2006
Old 25th November 2006
Gear interested

Thanks Boogie for the positive feedback.

All you guys were a big help...

Cheers!

P.S. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't mix on headphones!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search