Rock Tune - Fresh Mix - Self Mastered
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Rock Tune - Fresh Mix - Self Mastered

Hey my fellow Gear Slutz!

Ok the song is coming into it's final lap before it's in the can and would like to get another set of ears on this one.

Song background: A friend and I wrote it, I recorded, engineered it, sang it and well, psudo mastered it. Another friend who played with Brad Paisley played electric gtr on it which was cool I just wish I had a kick arse stack for him to play through but we had to use plugs :face palm:
Drums are Superior Drums, bass was live, Ac Gtr live, Ebo live, BGV's are me again.

Please any input where the mix is lacking will be appreciated - I'm hoping the low end is close to being dialed in (weak point in my mixing/mastering).

Here is the mp3 version:
http://www.creativesoundimages.com/mp3/Rain.mp3

Here is the full wav file if you'd like to hear the mix untainted by mp3 crap

http://www.creativesoundimages.com/mp3/Rain.wav

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

No input?
Old 31st December 2013
Gear addict

Dont feel to bad about lack of response. There are tons and tons of threads here with
zero responses. I posted a song, and links to all the tracks for a Mix Off recently, and
got ZILCHO, nothing.

Here are my thoughts on the parts of this song and the mix.
Vocal is sort of acute, and has a wide 80's era vibrato. The drum beat, in my opinion, does not match the song.
The drums are too far back in the mix, and they just dont have any power.
Guitars are thin.

Overall, its sort of 80's, but with a lack of production that would give it impact like a
production from that era.

If you're an 80's kinda person, and are trying to sound more updated, i would say
just let the 80's flag fly, and go all the way with it. The 80's sound is coming back.
I hope you're not wishing now that you didnt get a response after all. LOL
J
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

Hey Joe - LOL yeah I knows it's 80's. Yeah I thought the guitars were a bit thin too but I was a afraid of getting to much low end mud. I'm gonna take another look at those and bump the kick and snare a tad more...thanks for the input!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search