Subscribe
Robertt8
28th December 2013
Old 28th December 2013
Gear nut

Exclamation Stinky Gorilla - Need Mix Impressions

**updated new mp3 (stinky_gorilla_14.mp3)**

Hey guys,

Since the treatment of the drums was the most obvious comment, I made them mono, so hopefully there isn't a weird stereo thing happening now. They might be too loud, but I think they sound more natural. I also tweaked the bass. I think it does make the bass more defined, but I haven't checked the mix yet on a bunch of sources.

Thanks!

I was hoping to so get so general impressions of this mix (which is sort of an upbeat skanky tune).

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
Tait
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 stinky_gorilla_13.mp3 (6.92 MB, 26 views)
File Type: mp3 stinky_gorilla_14.mp3 (6.87 MB, 9 views)
28th December 2013
Old 28th December 2013
Lives for gear

Very nice - this is not my genre at all and i'm an amateur but if i was to question one thing it might be the drum bus, maybe the drums sound a little wetter than everything else in the mix, like they're not quite in the same room? (compare to vox e.g., which sound *nice* and dry)... at first i wondered whether you had some high freqs in the drums that didnt quite fit, but if you can i'd look at reverb first, is there any, can it be reduced a tad...

My 2c!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt8 View Post
Hey guys,

I was hoping to so get so general impressions of this mix (which is sort of an upbeat skanky tune).

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
Tait
Robertt8
28th December 2013
Old 28th December 2013
Gear nut

Hey GJ999x! Thanks for the reply. Those drums are actually done with one mic. I tried to duplicate the channels, pan them different and compress them a little differently. I think maybe that isn't the best solution?

I'm stuck with that reverb unless we re-record, which we might have to. I didn't record these drums. I like to have a little more control of the sound than just having 1 mic...not to mention that's our bass player playing drums...not our drummer. We'll have to revisit those drums.

Thanks!
28th December 2013
Old 28th December 2013
Gear interested

Hey man.

Just to say the one thing that stuck with me as well was the drums - they seem to sit on top of everything else rather than with it if that makes sense? - Don't get me wrong though, it's better than I could do.

Do you record in a studio?

ALSO - GJ999x - that song in your link "No Need" is really good. Gave that a like on the old Soundcloud.
Robertt8
28th December 2013
Old 28th December 2013
Gear nut

Hey Rocknrollstar. Thanks for checking it out. This is all home recorded/mixed. I'm doing the mixing and our bass player recorded it. Sadly I don't have a lot of control over these drums. I think we're going redo them with our proper drummer so I have more control over everything.

Thanks for the response.
28th December 2013
Old 28th December 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt8 View Post
Hey Rocknrollstar. Thanks for checking it out. This is all home recorded/mixed. I'm doing the mixing and our bass player recorded it. Sadly I don't have a lot of control over these drums. I think we're going redo them with our proper drummer so I have more control over everything.

Thanks for the response.

Considering it's home recorded and that's the only thing then I'd rate that a success overall - I know how hard home recording is - I'm tearing my hair out over recording an acoustic guitar at the moment haha - no problem man, if you re-do it then let me know and I'll take a listen.

All the best
28th December 2013
Old 28th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
ALSO - GJ999x - that song in your link "No Need" is really good. Gave that a like on the old Soundcloud.
Robertt8
28th December 2013
Old 28th December 2013
Gear nut

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Robertt8
31st December 2013
Old 31st December 2013
Gear nut

If anyone cares, I took much of the feedback and reposted up above. Thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search