New Reply
Subscribe
Anadrolic
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear addict

Mixing issue.

Greetings!

So, I've decided to to do some beats along with my passion for Techno and Deep house. The problem is that whenever i listen to the mix it sounds "far away" for some reason, like the different instruments are not coming out well in the mix, not individually but as a whole.

I constantly feel like it sounds like you're listening to something from a distance, does anybody know what I'm talking about?
There is barely any reverb, no echo or whatever, but the overall sound isn't coming out "huge". That's the best way i can describe it.

Example: https://soundcloud.com/antonsha/wolfpack

Any advice/recommended plugins/opinions or anything? Thanks!
btw: All the instruments(except the strings in the beginning) are completely tweakable as they are not loops or whatever...
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Why don't you tell me how you are getting that far back sound, as it is something I have been trying to do for years!

Anyway, I can only hear thru cheap headphone with one ear, but I am not hearing this far back sound. I take it what you mean is that it is not up front and in your face.

Someone with proper monitors can probably help.
Anadrolic
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Why don't you tell me how you are getting that far back sound, as it is something I have been trying to do for years!

Anyway, I can only hear thru cheap headphone with one ear, but I am not hearing this far back sound. I take it what you mean is that it is not up front and in your face.

Someone with proper monitors can probably help.
I wish i could tell you, but if I'd knew id probably somehow try to work around it. I'm not exactly sure...

And yeah, that's what I meant, it doesn't have that "in your face" attack, like the sounds isn't powerfull as for example Gramatiks...which i really enjoy.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

I am not sure of an easy way to help, I can say that you cannot have any impact if everything is 'same' and consistent.

Contrast is what makes one thing large relative to something small. If you had a painting and it was too bright, too far back, you want to create some punch and impact...

imagine the difference between: splattering some various black spots around

or

darkening the entire image

Not that either one is right or wrong.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The mix sounds pretty solid to me, but if you want a more "upfront" sound, consider a few things:

- first, everything in a mix can't effectively be "upfront". In order to create the illusion of depth, you need some stuff to remain in the background.

- brighter sounds have a tendency to move forward in a mix

- mono sounds have a tendency to move forward in a mix, particularly those panned center

- drier sounds (less reverb, etc) tend to move forward. You might also want to dry increasing reverb predelays to bring elements closer.

- try using compression to bring things closer. Slow attack, to allow the transient through, and experiment with release. Quick releases can bring out a lot of detail in the tail, which can create the illusion of proximity. But it can also pump and distort, and cause the sound to become smaller.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Also, try a low pass filter on one element to increase the impact of another element.
Anadrolic
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
The mix sounds pretty solid to me, but if you want a more "upfront" sound, consider a few things:

- first, everything in a mix can't effectively be "upfront". In order to create the illusion of depth, you need some stuff to remain in the background.

- brighter sounds have a tendency to move forward in a mix

- mono sounds have a tendency to move forward in a mix, particularly those panned center

- drier sounds (less reverb, etc) tend to move forward. You might also want to dry increasing reverb predelays to bring elements closer.

- try using compression to bring things closer. Slow attack, to allow the transient through, and experiment with release. Quick releases can bring out a lot of detail in the tail, which can create the illusion of proximity. But it can also pump and distort, and cause the sound to become smaller.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that...maybe i'll try to bring the Kick out and give it more space...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search