New Reply
Subscribe
R_V_S
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Gear interested

WIP: Rock Guitarist Writes Reggae-inspired Tune, Any & All Feedback Wanted

Hey peoples,

I'm a classical (nylong-string) & rock guitarist. I recently moved to Boston & found it harder than I thought it'd be to find a band, so I decided to try my hand at the one-man-band thing. Just for a few songs. I figured I would write/record some demos to help me recruit musicians to form a band. So I went out and bought the following:

- An Apogee Mic
- An Apogee Jam
- Scuffham S-Gear
- An Akai LPD8 mini pad and Steven Slate drums
- A cheap SX bass (which I like a lot)
- Valhalla Vintage Verb, which I'm laying on THICK (...too thick?)

Equipped with all this new and unfamiliar gear, I, for no good reason whatsoever, decided I would try writing in an unfamiliar genre. Reggae. I think maybe I thought reggae would be easy, which was dumb, because now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to make this song work. With everything being new to me, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring that out.

Also, about the singing... vocals aren't my bag, but I'm trying to learn. I quickly gave up on trying to sing reggae-style, but it still sounds to me like my voice needs work. I'm torn between thinking "My voice is weird, I shouldn't be singing" and "I'll get better".

Notes:

- I plan on re-recording vocals the next time I get a chance. There are a few spotty pitches that drive me nuts, namely the the first few notes of the 2nd verse and the last bit of the 2nd chorus
- I plan on adding horns to the song. A riff at the end of the guitar solo (before the 2nd verse), and horn solos after the 2nd chorus out 'til the end of the song...
- As a result of not having horns yet, the song basically ends after the first 3 minutes.

Please give it a brief listen & let me know what could be better. Critique is welcome for everything: the song, the lyrics, the drum part, the guitar/bass, the vocals, the mix, everything.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Night Into Day v0.31d.mp3 (7.48 MB, 23 views)
R_V_S
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear interested

Latest version of the mix. Brighter but smoother, going for a better bass tone w/ more detail. Less reverb.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Night Into Day v0.31ff.mp3 (7.64 MB, 20 views)
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

R_V_S
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear interested

Love it, man, thanks for the links! I've got a ways to go before I get to that level of feel-good.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear interested

really good man!
don't be concerned about your vocals being Reggae enough. They fit the song great and come through clear.
You could dub-ify it some if you felt the need by adding some delay in places, maybe some slapback on the snare especially.
I liked it though. Cool lyrics too.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear interested

This is great man!
R_V_S
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Gear interested

Thanks BigNinja and Darkshines! Didn't even realize there were replies (thought I would get emails). Anyway, took a break to hunt for an apartment, but am back to music again. Here's an updated version. Changes:

- Had a friend of mine lay down a beautiful trombone solo.
- Changed the vocal melody and drums on the chorus so that it sounds bigger, hit a little harder.
- Re-recorded vocals (and probably will again next week. Second verse really annoys me)
- Learned that mic placement makes a dramatic difference w/ the Apogee Mic. Actually, I need to stop holding it in my hand.... it might be my imagination, but I feel like it adds a level of inconsistency to the timbre of the voice throughout the track.
- Learned how to use reverb. Turns out I had been drowning out the attack from just about everything by leaving Valhalla's "Attack" and "Predelay" settings at their default. Vocals, in particular, no longer sound like they're drowning in verb.
- Pushed the bass (and bass drum) back and keys forward, aiming for a more balanced mix

It's now more jazzy, more r&b-ish than reggae, but I guess it is what it is...

As always, all C&C welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Night Into Day v0.63.mp3 (7.35 MB, 9 views)

Last edited by R_V_S; 19th August 2013 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: typo
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search