Login / Register

Country-ish mix. I think I'm officially HALF as good as I want to be. Any advice?
New Reply
Subscribe
Douchebag
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear Head

Country-ish mix. I think I'm officially HALF as good as I want to be. Any advice?

After watching possibly 50 Pensado's Place episodes I think I've finally reached HALF WAY ($@$%@#$%!!!) to being as good as I'd like to be. I would be so grateful if someone could give me any feedback/criticism/advice on this mix.

I did this for free for an old friend who, like myself, suffers from bi-polar disorder. Us crazies need to stick together...

Don't be shy. There's nothing you can say that will hurt my feelings
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 mix.mp3 (7.87 MB, 21 views)
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear addict

I think the guitar sounds pretty good, but the vocals sound distant. Were they are recorded in a fairly dry environment? If so, I would assume that you have just used too much reverb causing them to sound as though they are behind everything else in parts. I also think the piano could do with some more treble, and you could probably clean up the low mids a bit as well. On the whole though, I think you could make this mix heaps better with a few minor changes. I like the song quite a lot, by the way. Nice work.
Douchebag
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Head

Thank you so much for your response. I feel like low-mids are a constant problem area for me. I did something insane. I put a steep high pass and low pass on my master bus to isolate 200-500hz. I'm sure this is a horrible idea but I wanted to hear exactly what this build up sounded like. It sounded bad. I know there is information in that area that needs to exist, but one thing I noticed was that almost every track was contributing to this range. I didn't go crazy but, in monitoring this area in isolation, it was much easier for me to find the ear-shattering frequencies in each track.

I hope this is a step in the right direction but if it isn't feel free to say so! I've had so many false-revelations in mixing they've become standard operating procedure.

Also, the vocal track I was given had TONS of room. A small room with what sounds like nothing but four bare walls and carpet on the floor.

One other thing I did to bring the vocals closer was increase the amount of pre-delay I have on a very subtle long reverb AND increase (slow) the attack on the compressor.

Again, thank you so much for listening and responding. I've spent an embarrassing number of years trying to mix and hope this is the year I get it.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 mix2.mp3 (7.87 MB, 4 views)
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear addict

No problem, happy to help. I think your new mix is definitely an improvement. The vocals sound a lot more present, and there is better distinction between the guitar/piano. I thought that might be the case with the vocals... Unfortunately I think there is little you can do to alleviate the roominess. A transient designer type plugin could help, but it will never sound as though it was recorded in a dry room. I think you've done a good job considering what you had to work with.

The only other criticism I have is the bass part that comes in at 1:36. I feel as though it is just a low frequency rumble that doesn't really contribute anything musically. The electric guitar/organ parts do enough to keep the track interesting as it progresses. Personally, I would mute the bass. If you feel that it's necessary, I think you could turn it down, take out some low end and compress or automate it - some notes seem a lot more prominent than others.
Douchebag
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Head

Thanks again. I can't believe how much space opens up cutting out even a little bit of low-mids. I was a little unsure on the bass; I was given a stereo B3 track from a sampler. I wanted to have independent control over the B3 low end so I created a duplicate of the "left" side severely low passed it, and centered it. The left and right were then high passed at about the same point and panned hard respectively. The problem you're hearing is that I liked the B3 bass notes so much I made tried to make it really crazy. I overdid it...especially since it's no longer discernible as the B3 low end.

Ok I tamed the bass a bit. Still wondering if this big bass organ was a bad idea.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 mix3.mp3 (7.87 MB, 13 views)

Last edited by Douchebag; 22nd June 2013 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: Added mix
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search