New Reply
Subscribe
theironman
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

Need help with a mix (indie-rock)

Hi everyone!!

I recently released an EP of my project. It's indie-rock I guess. All tracking, mixing and mastering done at home, in the box.

After months of tweaking I found myself totally at a loss about why it doesn't sound 'big' and lacks punch no matter what I do. I don't get it - where did i make mistakes?

here's a song off that EP

https://soundcloud.com/atlantic-beats/bez-tebya

nevermind you don´t understand the lyrics, it´s in Russian)))

PS. hirins a pro mixing engineer is a choice i'm aware of, but what can be done if i want to keep it DIY

thanks in advance)
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear addict

Sounds fine to me.

What did you feel was lacking in your mix? I'm not sure what you consider "bigness". It has a different meaning to everyone. If you're searching for more depth, the only thing I can suggest is to setup a couple reverbs and delays and send a bit of some of the tracks to them.

If you'd like, I can have a look at 1 song, take a stab at it and see what I can do. Just to get an outsider's perspective.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

The most obvious thing that jumps out at me is that there's way to much competition at the high end. I would start by really taking a lot of highs out of the guitar; I'd probably low-pass them all the way down to about 6kHz to start and go up from there. The vocal also needs de-essing.

There is a little tightening that needs to happen at the low end as well, but I think the highs need to reigned in first.

The general balance, arrangement and performance all seem good, so you've probably already done the hard work. It's really tough to get that last bit though when you're trying to do everything yourself (I've been there too).
theironman
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear interested

thanks for feedback guys,

I'll probably revisit these songs after I get some monitors

these mixes were done almost entirely on headphones, with occasional checking on hi-fi home stereo and laptop speakers (i dont have any speakers where i stay right now) - my goal here was to make them as translatable as possible.

another thing about bigness and power is probably a personal thing. When I compared my mixes to commercial tracks I expected them to cound somewhat like the reference tracks, but a pro engineer I know told me - these are your songs - so I guess what you're after is your sound, not someone else's))

btw, vocals are already de-essed, so then is it the headphones that don't tell me the what's happening? I hear headphones are not the best thing to do all the mixing on, especially if you're not very expeienced - stereo image and tonal balance are different - is that correct?
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theironman View Post
thanks for feedback guys,

I'll probably revisit these songs after I get some monitors

these mixes were done almost entirely on headphones, with occasional checking on hi-fi home stereo and laptop speakers (i dont have any speakers where i stay right now) - my goal here was to make them as translatable as possible.

another thing about bigness and power is probably a personal thing. When I compared my mixes to commercial tracks I expected them to cound somewhat like the reference tracks, but a pro engineer I know told me - these are your songs - so I guess what you're after is your sound, not someone else's))

btw, vocals are already de-essed, so then is it the headphones that don't tell me the what's happening? I hear headphones are not the best thing to do all the mixing on, especially if you're not very expeienced - stereo image and tonal balance are different - is that correct?
I'd check the mixes out on monitors before you release them. Headphones are tricky to mix on in my experience. Especially when it comes to 'verbs and delays. Just to make sure you have it sound the way YOU want it to sound.

Commercial tracks run the gamut. No two are alike. There are some bass heavy mixes out there and there are top heavy mixes. There are less compressed mixes and heavily squashed mixes. The only thing most commercial tracks have in common are they are usually recorded very well with great gear, are tight timing wise, and hopefully contain a great song.

The point is, does it sound the way you like? Everybody mixes differently and everybody has a different opinion on what sounds good to them.

I know for me, a nice clean crisp top end is important, as is a nice tight bottom end. I don't like a lot of heavy compression and prefer to do a lot of volume, effect send, pan automation and effect manipulation throughout the mix. I also prefer to de-ess using volume automation, manually, as de-esser's "cloud the sound" of the singer 9 times out of 10 for me. I'm usually looking for more breath and high end on vocals. The only way I've come to this conclusion is through experience mostly through mixing other people's work instead of my own. Of course these things evolve and change over time...
30th April 2013
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

not bad at all but it could be that you need more reverb or delay or both on your vocals and some automated panning. But most likely some compression if your going for a big sound. I always utilize some parallel compression and some pumping on the drums but its all mix and song specific and if your not experienced its easy to butcher the song but if you get the hang of it, it can add a deeper bigger presence.

(Chael) - Michael Thomas Candido-
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search