Pop-Rock Mixes. Please help me...
Old 24th March 2013
Gear interested

Pop-Rock Mixes. Please help me...

Hi everyone!

I'm working with my band Prisca Jones on an album for almost 3 years and at this moment we are in the "final mix process". But after this long time of songwriting, pre-production, recording and mixing and mixing and mixing, I've lost all my objectivity and motivation to work on. All the songs sound like hard work and don't have this "free feeling" they're supposed to have.
At this point, these problems affect also my work in other projects and my skills as a producer in general. So I implore you to take a few minutes and listen to and assess the mixes I uploaded here:

https://soundcloud.com/dirtmike/sets/prisca-jones

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

Man, you need a break, forget mixing for a week or so FORGET IT do something different, don't listen to your work, relax

Then you can get back to work with better perspective

I listened to the first song, good work indeed

Best wishes

Lau
Old 24th March 2013
Gear addict

Yup. The songs are good. The mixes you uploaded need a little more oomph into them though in my opinion. The drums in particular need to come up on 24:7. I'd love to take a stab at mixing one of your tunes if you're looking for objectivity.
Old 24th March 2013
Gear Head

sounds like you need to hire a mix engineer. It's hard to keep an objective view of something that I've produced and engineered for a couple weeks...I can't imagine working on it for 3 years. The tracks sound well produced, they would definitely benefit greatly from a fresh set of ears.

I'm not sure that there are definitive "Part, Section, Up, Down" suggestions that people could give you that would magically bring the mixes to completion.

Sometimes the best solution is the most obvious--get the tracks mixed by a good mix engineer and let the project go...at this point you're overexposed and hypersensitive to the mix....you're starting to have diminishing returns.

just my 2 cents...best of luck
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

Hey guys!

Thank you very much for the positive feedback on these tracks and your advices. This gives me back some motivation to go on!
Actually I tried several times to get a distance to this album during the whole process and went back with fresh ears. But it´s not easy having 3 nervous band members behind your neck always saying "Hmmmm, there´s something missing in the track" and other vague statements like this, but not giving helpful suggestions on the mixing. We all want to get this thing done, but maybe I really have to take 2 weeks off and relax. You´re absolutely right. When you mix a song a 100 times, it´s impossible to concentrate on the music.

@jtaylor27: do you really consent to mix a verse-chorus part of one of the songs or maybe (if you got time for that of course) a whole tune? It would be really really cool to hear the work from somebody who is completely uninvolved.
Old 26th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr1sc4 View Post
Hey guys!

Thank you very much for the positive feedback on these tracks and your advices. This gives me back some motivation to go on!
Actually I tried several times to get a distance to this album during the whole process and went back with fresh ears. But it´s not easy having 3 nervous band members behind your neck always saying "Hmmmm, there´s something missing in the track" and other vague statements like this, but not giving helpful suggestions on the mixing. We all want to get this thing done, but maybe I really have to take 2 weeks off and relax. You´re absolutely right. When you mix a song a 100 times, it´s impossible to concentrate on the music.

@jtaylor27: do you really consent to mix a verse-chorus part of one of the songs or maybe (if you got time for that of course) a whole tune? It would be really really cool to hear the work from somebody who is completely uninvolved.
Ya, just PM me a link to the multitracks for a whole tune and I'll take a stab at it one of these nights this week.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search