Help my mix please
Djtdot
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Gear interested

Help my mix please

Here is a mix i would like to have some feedback on. I have posted only one other song, but im to a point where i need help with my mix.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 01 Artificial Sun 2.mp3 (5.57 MB, 53 views)
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

The vocals are ver compressed right? Work this out, cause some sibilances are just too loud

There is too much going on high mids freq area, too little in low mids....

What else?

IMO the snare is not fitting too well, apart from the freq unbalance I mentioned above

Some glueing reverb and gentle bus compression will also help

Good luck!
Djtdot
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the advice. I tried to address some of them areas. Let me know how you think it sounds now. I actually like the new mix better. The artist really wanted that snare sound, so tried to add a bit more bottom to it.

Again thanks in advanced.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 01 Artificial Sun 3.mp3 (5.61 MB, 20 views)
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear maniac
The synth bell sound is ear piercing.
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear addict

Mr. Lau hit it on the head, there's not a whole lot going on in the low mids and the majority of the instruments are concentrated in the "pain" area of 1-3khz. There's a weird phasey-ness about this mix. It's like everything went through some pseudo stereo widener and it's a bit distracting. Everything needs to blend better. Compression or saturation (parallel is good to keep things from sounding too squashed and keeps things sitting in place) and eq. Start from the beginning and just strip everything off and work on getting a good natural vocal sound and bring in the drums. Eq and compress until you get them on the same plane-use your ears, dont worry about how much you're adding or subtracting, then the bass, same thing, keys, same thing.

When you get it right, you will smile and probably start nodding your head to the music. That's how I know I'm almost there anyways
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

oki dokie, free your mind...

I tweaked OP's second mix, I have to agree with other posters, that synth arp is ear piercing

And it is a case of extreme stereo embellishment

Here!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 artificial lau tweeked.mp3 (1.42 MB, 18 views)
Djtdot
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear interested

thanks guys 2moro I'm going to strip the whole thing and start from scratch. This is exactly what i needed.
Djtdot
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear interested

Thanks so much for lending ears to my mix guys. I have sat down and stripped the whole mix and this is where i am right now. Listen and let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 01 Artificial Sun Mar27mix.mp3 (5.62 MB, 14 views)
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djtdot View Post
Thanks so much for lending ears to my mix guys. I have sat down and stripped the whole mix and this is where i am right now. Listen and let me know.
This is much better! I'd add a bit more sparkle to the acoustic guitars and add some space around the elements. Set up some reverbs and delays and feed a bit of the tracks into them. You shouldn't really hear the fx, but if you mute them you notice somethings gone. Just try it and experiment!
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Much better

Before adding fx, work the middle highs and top end in guitars and vocals

Also more vocals and snare level and scoop mids in synth pad, it is masking the vocals in choruses
Djtdot
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Gear interested

You guys are great. I love the way it sounds now, i hate that first mix i put up, but i am glad to have the help from all who chimed in. This was the largest mix I've done. Much thanks, hopefully i can post more mixes and get the same constructive criticism. So this is the premaster, and once again thanks.
Attached Files
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Good!
Piano at 1:24 and synth arp at 2:27 should be a little louder, since as a listener I get them as a solo lead
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

here!

eq+parallel analog OTB compression
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 artificial lau 2.mp3 (1.41 MB, 13 views)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search