22nd March 2013
Old 22nd March 2013
Gear addict

!! MIX-OFF !! Atmospheric Pop

23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear addict

Hey Alex,
I'll try giving this a shot later tonight!
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Gear addict

Here we go:

I hope you don't mind but I heard some guitar in my head when I started to do this mix and I laid it down on here.

I went for more of a natural sound and used a lot of volume automation, both on the tracks and the fx returns to hopefully bring more emotion and drama to the song.

There were a couple other things I did but just listen
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 NorthIsFalseJustin'sMix.mp3 (3.77 MB, 128 views)
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Head

PC Mix

Hi guys.
This was a really nice song. Remind me some Dead Can Dance songs.
Here's my try. Hope you like it.

See ya around,
W
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Norh Is False.mp3 (9.24 MB, 76 views)

Last edited by PerfektChaos; 25th March 2013 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Low-Fi Master
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear nut

Here is my shot at it! Great song - lots of emotion! I used the backing vocals to add a few harmonies here and there. The vocals would have been stunning through a decent condenser as they lack a lot of top end sheen, but I've used an exciter to do the best I could! Hope you like it

Adam Fiasco
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 NorthIsFalseAdamFiasco.mp3 (8.13 MB, 78 views)
alexvdbroek
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear addict

Nice guys! Keep them coming. Its great to hear everyone's different take on it. I have never heard of 'Dead Can Dance', so I will check them out.

I'll comment on the mixes when some more have been put up. If you want.. (Not that I am the guru...)

A.
Gax
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gax
Lives for gear

I was really looking for songs like this! Awesome, therefor I'll give my best mixing this great song. (tho i wish vocals were cut with condenser mic, something more detailed and neutral)

I was wondering where the rhodes and synth pads are from? (what workstation, or vsts)
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear addict

I should mention, this mix was so much fun to do, as the multitracks already sounded pretty great to begin with. Probably the best singer I've mixed in awhile too. Thanks again for the multi's!
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear addict

Alex - another great song!

Here is my first pass: North Is False V2.wav

All original tracks - no samples or substitutions.

Simon Morrison • Music Technologist • Audio Architect
www.MorrisonStudios.com | www.AudioEngineeringSolutions.com
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Allright. Had some time to do this one. I stole bigadd0's idea of of vocal harmonies and brought some in myself too. Before that I spend some time with tightening the vocal tracks; all the vocals combined here give rhythmically a little different vibe.

As always, these kind of songs are such fun to go crazy with gigantic reverbs and FX altogether.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 North_Is_False_SpedeMix.mp3 (6.66 MB, 63 views)
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

...And a round of comments to everyone!

Simon Morrison:

Right at the beginning the vocals attack really loud compared to the backing instruments. If you had the idea of startling some right off this song, you have succeeded :D Overall I'm having very mixed feelings from your vocal sounds: It feels almost uncomfortably in-your-face (perhaps little out of style), but it's almost guaranteed to work in an iPod/traffic situation.

The drum bottom end feels really good. You leave me wondering why on earth I didn't pay any attention to it in my own mix :P

I think this is limited little too loudly, the occasional distortion gives me that same sort of weird feeling when I'm listening to some ballad songs in "Californication".

Towards the end of the mix I'm personally missing a some sort of payoff. I don't know if you even strived for a some sort of gear shift (as subtle as those can ever be), but in this present form it feels like nothing happens at the end, the song just withers away (I know this is little starkly said).

Overall I think it's a nicely balanced mix. The dark vibe here works surprisingly well (I was aggressively carving some presence from these tracks) and your usage of fx is extremely neat: I'm guessing there's lots of it, yet it doesn't feel over-the-top.

bigadd0:

It took me couple of seconds to get used to the dynamics between the dry Rhodes and the very effected vocals. After couple of listens I'm starting to like the other-wordly sound of the backing vocals.

I'm not sure if it's due to the exciter, but some of the louder vocal passages (the backing vocals panned to sides) sound very, very distorted. I guess I didn't personally like this effect especially at early parts of the song. I if want to distort/excite vocals, I usually do that after compression to avoid these kind of artifacts.

You've have a fairly big hole in 2-4 kHz region. Because of that this mix has a danger of completely disappearing into background noise (be a party, or traffic, etc). Maybe you should try to focus some of the important elements into that area. For example I used tiny amount of third-order distortion all of the vocal tracks to fill that upper midrange. I also did't add any high end to the hihats (like you did) to focus them lower in the spectrum, which happens to be that hole. These are just some ideas that popped into my mind.

PerfektChaos:

I'm really, really liking that drum reverb sound! Wow! Care to share what's the deal behind it?

You've done good job in bringing some presence the vocals.

I guess the only thing that I'm personally missing from this mix would be small uses of some crazier effects here and there.

Unfortunately by keeping the swells down (and almost out) in the mix you've taken away the only chance of some dramatic shifts within this mix. This coupled with fairly trivial use of reverb (good sounding trivial though if I may say) makes this mix a an easygoing, balanced effort which might lacking some sort of personality and wow-factor. You're doing great job with basics (the vocals here were presence-wise one of the best so far), now start figuring out how to get the listeners fall from their chairs (whenever that's appropriate)

jtaylor27:

For some reason the high end in this mix sounds little off. It becomes apparent in the softer vocal passages where the airflow is whizzing and all the vocal esses sound little weird. I'd suggest that you check around your mix if you did any unusual processing to the top end.

So far apart from the weird sounding high end this is probably the cleanest, most fresh and least crowded mix mix so far. Very easy on the ears. The guitar reverb sounds awesome!
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear addict

Hey Spede, my mix was encoded to 128kbps mp3 in Audacity. I noticed the high end glare too after I uploaded it. My ISP has a pretty stringent limit on bandwidth so I tried to keep the file size small. Is this what you're hearing? I did use an exciter on the vocals to brighten them up. My goal was to give an "ethereal/breathy" quality to the vocal. I also only used the main vocal track as I felt it emphasized the lyrics of the track. I dont know my way around here etc.

I used two reverbs. Can't remember which one I used on the guitar. BREVERB and Toraverb. There is also a couple of mono delays from a Roland SDE 3000 and also used a ping pong delay at one point I believe. There is also a Eventide micropitch thing going on, which I put on the pads.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Your mix is awesome as usual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spede View Post

Simon Morrison:

Right at the beginning the vocals attack really loud compared to the backing instruments. If you had the idea of startling some right off this song, you have succeeded :D Overall I'm having very mixed feelings from your vocal sounds: It feels almost uncomfortably in-your-face (perhaps little out of style), but it's almost guaranteed to work in an iPod/traffic situation.

The drum bottom end feels really good. You leave me wondering why on earth I didn't pay any attention to it in my own mix :P

I think this is limited little too loudly, the occasional distortion gives me that same sort of weird feeling when I'm listening to some ballad songs in "Californication".

Towards the end of the mix I'm personally missing a some sort of payoff. I don't know if you even strived for a some sort of gear shift (as subtle as those can ever be), but in this present form it feels like nothing happens at the end, the song just withers away (I know this is little starkly said).

Overall I think it's a nicely balanced mix. The dark vibe here works surprisingly well (I was aggressively carving some presence from these tracks) and your usage of fx is extremely neat: I'm guessing there's lots of it, yet it doesn't feel over-the-top.

bigadd0:

It took me couple of seconds to get used to the dynamics between the dry Rhodes and the very effected vocals. After couple of listens I'm starting to like the other-wordly sound of the backing vocals.

I'm not sure if it's due to the exciter, but some of the louder vocal passages (the backing vocals panned to sides) sound very, very distorted. I guess I didn't personally like this effect especially at early parts of the song. I if want to distort/excite vocals, I usually do that after compression to avoid these kind of artifacts.

You've have a fairly big hole in 2-4 kHz region. Because of that this mix has a danger of completely disappearing into background noise (be a party, or traffic, etc). Maybe you should try to focus some of the important elements into that area. For example I used tiny amount of third-order distortion all of the vocal tracks to fill that upper midrange. I also did't add any high end to the hihats (like you did) to focus them lower in the spectrum, which happens to be that hole. These are just some ideas that popped into my mind.

PerfektChaos:

I'm really, really liking that drum reverb sound! Wow! Care to share what's the deal behind it?

I guess the only thing that I'm personally missing from this mix would be small uses of some crazier effects here and there.

Unfortunately by keeping the swells down (and almost out) in the mix you've taken away the only chance of some dramatic shifts within this mix. This coupled with fairly trivial use of reverb (good sounding trivial though if I may say) makes this mix a an easygoing, balanced effort which might lacking some sort of personality and wow-factor. You're doing great job with basics (the vocals here were presence-wise one of the best so far), now start figuring out how to get the listeners fall from their chairs (whenever that's appropriate)

jtaylor27:

For some reason the high end in this mix sounds little off. It becomes apparent in the softer vocal passages where the airflow is whizzing and all the vocal esses sound little weird. I'd suggest that you check around your mix if you did any unusual processing to the top end.

So far apart from the weird sounding high end this is probably the cleanest, most fresh and least crowded mix mix so far. Very easy on the ears. The guitar reverb sounds awesome!
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear addict

Spede:

Thank you for the valuable feedback! I will incorporate your suggestions in the next revision.

As for your mix - well done! I really like the vocal harmonies, the volume automation and your complex use of reverb. I LOVE the church organ reverb - this adds a completely different vibe at the end! I'm going to "borrow" this idea from you.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Alex - another beautiful song! Lovely work and a pleasure to mix.

I wanted to keep this fairly thin and delicate, but I felt like it needed a tiny splash more drama at the end, so I added a few samples. Also I found myself singing along quite a bit while I was mixing, so I just couldn't help tucking in a little male vocal harmony at the end there just to get it out of my system

Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/streetlightfarm/north-is-false-by-speak-softly

P.S. Dead Can Dance are probably my all time favorite band

P.P.S. If I'd had a little more time I would have tightened up the vocal timing in a few places, but I have another mix to finish today - and I don't think it's too distracting anyway.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Head

Hi Spede.
Thanks for the feedback and ideas.
You mix is pretty damm good too. I love the vocal mix, good job.

Well as for the drums on my mix I used the RC 24 and RC 48 from Native Instruments and a plate reverb from CSR.

Quote:

Simon Morrison:

bigadd0:

PerfektChaos:

jtaylor27:

27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfender View Post
Alex - another beautiful song! Lovely work and a pleasure to mix.

I wanted to keep this fairly thin and delicate, but I felt like it needed a tiny splash more drama at the end, so I added a few samples. Also I found myself singing along quite a bit while I was mixing, so I just couldn't help tucking in a little male vocal harmony at the end there just to get it out of my system

Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/streetlightfarm/north-is-false-by-speak-softly

P.S. Dead Can Dance are probably my all time favorite band

P.P.S. If I'd had a little more time I would have tightened up the vocal timing in a few places, but I have another mix to finish today - and I don't think it's too distracting anyway.
I like your mix and also what you did with the percussions at the end.

27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Allright. Had some time to do this one. I stole bigadd0's idea of of vocal harmonies and brought some in myself too. Before that I spend some time with tightening the vocal tracks; all the vocals combined here give rhythmically a little different vibe.

As always, these kind of songs are such fun to go crazy with gigantic reverbs and FX altogether.
That's a nice vocal ensemble you created!
But why did you run it the same way along the hole song?
With a tasteful variety between solo vocals and ensemble you could add some serious excitement.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Hi guys,

so I had some more time to work on this mix. I did all automations as the former was just a static mix. Done ITB except for the lead vocals where I used some hardware, a Filtek EQ and an 1176. Only the provided tracks were used except for the tambourine that was layered with a floor-tom sample. I hope you like it.

Cheers,
Andy
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 NorthlsFalse2_AndyGallas.mp3 (3.74 MB, 50 views)
alexvdbroek
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax View Post
I was really looking for songs like this! Awesome, therefor I'll give my best mixing this great song. (tho i wish vocals were cut with condenser mic, something more detailed and neutral)

I was wondering where the rhodes and synth pads are from? (what workstation, or vsts)
The rhodes is me playing a Nord Stage. The pads are from the same keyboard. And the 'swell' pads is a guitar.

Loving the mixes guys!
A.
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

alexvdbroek
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Gear addict

Wow, cool video man.
Thanks for doing that.

I'll comment on peoples mixes soon
A.
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Gear Head

Will give it a try soon! Cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvdbroek View Post
Wow, cool video man.
Thanks for doing that.
A.
YW. Glad you enjoyed it.
I plan to go back to this song sometime when I'm not trying to mix on a pair of KRK speakers in an untreated room. I'm struggling with the transition from mixing live sound to mixing ITB, but appreciate the opportunity to improve. Your Wife has a great voice. Thanks for sharing the song with us.
ESP
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
ESP
Gear nut

Here's my quick mix. enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 North Is False.mp3 (3.67 MB, 21 views)

Last edited by ESP; 3rd April 2013 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: song didnt upload
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear nut

Heres my mix

Hope you like it
Attached Files
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear nut

I really liked the song and since this is not the style I usually do, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this mix.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 NorthIsFalse-madmarkdj-v1.mp3 (5.49 MB, 32 views)
5th April 2013
Old 5th April 2013
Gear interested

alexvdbroek
6th April 2013
Old 6th April 2013
Gear addict

Hey Guys

Here are my comments. I haven't got around to listening to them all yet but will soon.

All in all, there are some pretty nice things happening.

JTaylor
Nice work.
The highs have already been mentioned in your mix. I would start by rolling off the highs in the reverb. It will make a big difference, and make the reverb more subtle as well. I like the added guitar sounds!

Perfect Chaos
The immediate vocal sound is a bit too much for me (is it a ambient verb?) I like the reverb tail and echoes though.
The drums verb is a nice idea. Just sometimes it sticks out in a boomy way. How about EQ'ing or compressing it?

Bidaddo
The dry rhodes has been mentioned. I like the automations on the vocal, it gives it a nice lift and life. The harmonies are nice. Well done on those.
The synth pad sticks out to much for me. My original intention was for the pad just to fill out the backround a bit. So its just a personal thing, if you like it that is cool.

Simon M
The chorus on the rhodes is a nice change. But it does take 'weight' away from its accompanying role. Nice bass in your mix. And see above for my synthpad comment. But in your one the synth intermingles alot with the voice it is that loud. If you do want it that prominent you could EQ it.

Thanks guys!
Will comment more later
A.
6th April 2013
Old 6th April 2013
Gear addict

Thanks for the comments Alex! I appreciate them very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvdbroek View Post
Hey Guys

Here are my comments. I haven't got around to listening to them all yet but will soon.

All in all, there are some pretty nice things happening.

JTaylor
Nice work.
The highs have already been mentioned in your mix. I would start by rolling off the highs in the reverb. It will make a big difference, and make the reverb more subtle as well. I like the added guitar sounds!

Perfect Chaos
The immediate vocal sound is a bit too much for me (is it a ambient verb?) I like the reverb tail and echoes though.
The drums verb is a nice idea. Just sometimes it sticks out in a boomy way. How about EQ'ing or compressing it?

Bidaddo
The dry rhodes has been mentioned. I like the automations on the vocal, it gives it a nice lift and life. The harmonies are nice. Well done on those.
The synth pad sticks out to much for me. My original intention was for the pad just to fill out the backround a bit. So its just a personal thing, if you like it that is cool.

Simon M
The chorus on the rhodes is a nice change. But it does take 'weight' away from its accompanying role. Nice bass in your mix. And see above for my synthpad comment. But in your one the synth intermingles alot with the voice it is that loud. If you do want it that prominent you could EQ it.

Thanks guys!
Will comment more later
A.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search