Avantgarde Black Metal - Please give me some feedback
Meads
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Avantgarde Black Metal - Please give me some feedback

Hi guys,

been working in post for more than 10 years now, and decided to make some music production, too.
Now I finished mixing a local black metal act, and I'd like to have some feedback of people, who have more experience in mixing music, than I do.

Here's a sample of one of the songs.

Much appreciated, thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Excerpt.mp3 (5.01 MB, 43 views)
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear addict

I think you've basically nailed the whole black metal vibe. You may want to tweak the drums a bit. They seem buried and a little dull compared to the guitars, which are very bright. Nice job, though! I know how difficult it can be to work with black metal and other extreme forms of metal.
Meads
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Thanks, man. This was one hell of a ride. The drums the band used sounded horrible, and I had to throw them out completely. I used the drum track to trigger a drum computer, so everything concerning drums except the cymbals from the overheads, are samples, and it took me days to make them sound as they do now. So I'm afraid I can't tweak them anymore without changing it for the worse, even though I agree, that they could stand out a little more in the more "crowded" parts.

But I'm glad to have positive feedback on the overall sound, that's very important to me. As I said, this is my first attempt in music mixing, and I find it hard to tell if it sounds good or not. I lost the "open mind" way too fast, if you know, what I mean. Got used to the sound, and can't judge it anymore.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Thanks, man. This was one hell of a ride. The drums the band used sounded horrible, and I had to throw them out completely. I used the drum track to trigger a drum computer, so everything concerning drums except the cymbals from the overheads, are samples, and it took me days to make them sound as they do now. So I'm afraid I can't tweak them anymore without changing it for the worse, even though I agree, that the could stand out a little more in the more "crowded" parts.

But I'm glad to have positive feedback on the overall sound, that's very important to me. As I said, this is my first attempt in music mixing, and I find it hard to tell if it sounds good or not. I lost the "open mind" way too fast, if you know, what I mean. Got used to the sound, and can't judge it anymore.
I know what you mean. There are few things that can be as mentally fatiguing in mixing as fixing horrible sounding drums.

The loss of your "open mind," or as I call it a "fresh perspective," is usually where mastering helps out a bit. But that decision is on the artist.

Glad I could help!
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
useless frog

My Studio

those guitars are definitely too brght and harsh, they are in the "boss OD-2 plugged into soundcard" department. That sound is so over in black metal since the old nargaroth days. You can get them in the regular metal range, they will still sound black metal with the extreme distortion.
Meads
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capashitor View Post
those guitars are definitely too brght and harsh, they are in the "boss OD-2 plugged into soundcard" department. That sound is so over in black metal since the old nargaroth days. You can get them in the regular metal range, they will still sound black metal with the extreme distortion.
They're actually SM57 and MD421 with overdubs. I actually boosted the high mids just today as a last step, because when I was comparing it to other BM stuff (Wolves In The Throne Room / Der Weg Einer Freiheit) my mix sounded too dull and muddy.
I find it really hard to make a decision, here...
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear addict

If I were you I'd probably just go with the mix you've got. Not sure if you are sending it off for mastering, but a pro ME would probably help you out with the minor issues. Stem mastering could be the way to go, too. If you want, I'd be happy to work with it a bit. Just message me for details if interested.
Meads
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchontheRocks View Post
If I were you I'd probably just go with the mix you've got. Not sure if you are sending it off for mastering, but a pro ME would probably help you out with the minor issues. Stem mastering could be the way to go, too. If you want, I'd be happy to work with it a bit. Just message me for details if interested.
Just sent you a PM.
There's practically no money involved, so as much as I'd love to have a ME doing his magic - he'd have to work for free.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search