Does anyone feel like polishing a turd?
New Reply
Subscribe
Spoiled
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Head

Does anyone feel like polishing a turd?

I have this rock song that is very poorly tracked. Any wizards out there that can do magic with mixing? Or at least anyone that's simply up for a challenge? I know that if it's garbage in it's garbage out, but perhaps a little nicer garbage.

The biggest problems are the drums and the vocals. Feel free to replace the drums!

Let me know if you're interested. Here's a rough mix of the song: https://www.box.com/s/clrhcunr86bhnbyf9ht3

EDIT: There's no budget to this.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear maniac

If you have tracks or audio files for each instrument, especially for each drum shell and overhead/room, chances are that it can be de-garbaged to some degree Tell us what you've got.
Spoiled
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
If you have tracks or audio files for each instrument, especially for each drum shell and overhead/room, chances are that it can be de-garbaged to some degree Tell us what you've got.
I have two tracks for the drums - one mic placed above the kit, and one by the kick drum. I played the song on a kids drum set:

The rest of the instruments are on separate tracks. It's 14 tracks all together.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear maniac

I won't promise you anything, but I am willing to have a look at this. Only two mics on the drums will make it difficult, but at the same time fun to see what can be made of it.
Spoiled
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
I won't promise you anything, but I am willing to have a look at this. Only two mics on the drums will make it difficult, but at the same time fun to see what can be made of it.
Just tell me where to upload the files.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear maniac

You should upload them to your dropbox or the like, make it public and post a link to it.
Spoiled
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Head

15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Tempo?
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Spoiled
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Tempo?
I think it's 162.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Can't download it for some reason.
What am I doing wrong?
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear maniac

Hey Spoiled, you're not doing anything wrong. 12ax7 must have had a problem, because I can download the files just fine.

I'm working on your fine song at the moment. I've pretty much torn it apart and slowly building it up again. It's a difficult one to mix, for sure.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

I'll take a look at it and see about retracking the drums. I'm at work now and can't listen to it on my phone:( what style drumming are you looking for?
Spoiled
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Hey Spoiled, you're not doing anything wrong. 12ax7 must have had a problem, because I can download the files just fine.

I'm working on your fine song at the moment. I've pretty much torn it apart and slowly building it up again. It's a difficult one to mix, for sure.
I'm holding my breath!
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebug View Post
I'll take a look at it and see about retracking the drums. I'm at work now and can't listen to it on my phone:( what style drumming are you looking for?
Pretty much the style that I'm trying to play one that rough mix. Tré Cool meets Steve Adler. Simplicity. Less is more. Can't stand double pedal kick style.

And like I said before, the biggest problem with the song is the drums. There's also a guitar fill on track 08 that needs to be muted on the first verse (like it is in the rough mix). Then there's a gallop on the first pre chorus, which is, well...not in perfect timing. Turns out, I don't have Hetfield's rapid fingers, but I guess there's not much to do about that. I just want the song to be listenable.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

Ok, so I just took a listen to your track. Are you looking for that washed out reverby sound on the drums? If so, I'll give a mid side oh pattern a try.
Spoiled
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Ok, so I just took a listen to your track. Are you looking for that washed out reverby sound on the drums? If so, I'll give a mid side oh pattern a try.
Well, I don't have any preferences when it comes to reverb, I just want the song to rock. And as you can tell, I don't really know how to make it so. If you're gonna try something, just do what you think will make the song kick ass.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

so here goes my first take. ill be honest, this take was the first time i listened to the song more than half way thru let me know if you are diggin this vibe or if i should take another aproach. im also just playing around with some vox distortion by HEAVY compression. just and idea...

https://soundcloud.com/#cnehr-1/never-had-time
Spoiled
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
so here goes my first take. ill be honest, this take was the first time i listened to the song more than half way thru let me know if you are diggin this vibe or if i should take another aproach. im also just playing around with some vox distortion by HEAVY compression. just and idea...

https://soundcloud.com/#cnehr-1/never-had-time
Your link doesn't work. Or do I need to sign in somewhere?
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

Spoiled
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFreaKSir View Post
I had to remove the # to make it work

https://soundcloud.com/cnehr-1/never-had-time
Can't stop smiling!
Too bad the rest now sounds like garbage in comparison. But yes, it sounds great! Maybe distorsion is a good idea since it will make it sound dirtier, and therefor will match the other instruments better.

That break that you do after the intro, when the song takes off, is repeated all through the song, if you can match the bass line with that it would be awesome. Then at the second pre chorus there's a stop, then it starts off slowly and builds up to normal speed again. I guess there's no need to explain all this, since it's pretty obvious if you listen to my drum track.

Thanks a lot!
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

cool cool. ill give it another go and see if i can make some magic happen. im also going to play around with "rerecording" the guitar thru my fender devvile if you dont mind. maybe get a better sound. ill post back in an hour or so.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

https://soundcloud.com/cnehr-1/never-had-time-2
so here is my 2nd go at it. on this take i payed more with the vox. i ran them thru my devvile with a hell of a lot of presence and a bit of drive. it made for and interesting sound. im not sure what you are listening back on, so you might not notice the difference. its nothing important tho, just more messin around. more importantly, how does this drum take sound to you?
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear maniac

17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear interested

Metrik, im curious to know what you used for the drum sounds. im assuming midi samples. are they your own samples? either way, very impressive. i just started getting my hands dirty with recording and "engineering"(i by no means consider myself an engineer yet) for about a year now. i feel like i could pick your brain for hours!
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear interested

Working on a version here too
Spoiled
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/cnehr-1/never-had-time-2
so here is my 2nd go at it. on this take i payed more with the vox. i ran them thru my devvile with a hell of a lot of presence and a bit of drive. it made for and interesting sound. im not sure what you are listening back on, so you might not notice the difference. its nothing important tho, just more messin around. more importantly, how does this drum take sound to you?
What can I say? It truly rocks! Thanks for doing this.

Quote:
Okay Spoiled. Here's my mix. Pull up a chair. Your song took me in a surprising direction. The song and your vocals reminds me of Bowie, Beatles and Elvis Costello and I got carried in that direction. I truly think your song is a gem.

https://soundcloud.com/audiozone/never-had-time-mix-by-metrik
Again: WHAT CAN I SAY? I had no idea what you did was even possible. Cool to hear my song in such a different style. Thanks a million!
Quote:
Working on a version here too
Can't wait. When I started this thread I honestly thought people were gonna make fun of me, considering the other stuff I've seen posted here.
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear interested

My Files

here is what i hope to be a link to the drum tracks i threw down. just in case anyone wants to use them. im not familiar with mediafire, so im not sure if its a good link.
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear interested

Well here's my stab at it. I agree you cant polish a turd (even though the version above did) but you can certainly throw a little glitter on it. I hope you don't mind but i redone the "Hetfield" galloping guitar track myself and tightened it up a little. I also took a hacksaw to the arrangement a bit but I think it works.

I haven't had a chance to play this back loudly through my monitors but it sounds pretty good through my AKG headphones. If I get a chance to I'll have a bit of tweak of it but for now, enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Never Had Time - Freak Mix.mp3 (3.79 MB, 45 views)
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Metrik, im curious to know what you used for the drum sounds. im assuming midi samples. are they your own samples? either way, very impressive. i just started getting my hands dirty with recording and "engineering"(i by no means consider myself an engineer yet) for about a year now. i feel like i could pick your brain for hours!
Thanks charliebug. Yes, it's midi. I created a tempo map for the song, to be able to add midi drums properly and to be able to easily correct the most prominent timing issues on all of the other tracks. The tempo of the song varies a lot - 156 to 166 bpm.

I used Massey DRT2 to extract drums from the overhead and kick mics and to convert them to midi. Without DRT2, I wouldn't have done this.

The samples and grooves are not my own. I built the drumkit and drumtrack using SSD 4, layering a few drums from the Custom and CLA sample packs.

Feel free to pick my brain I enjoyed your 4 mic approach to your drums and the effort to lay down a whole new track.
Spoiled
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
My Files

here is what i hope to be a link to the drum tracks i threw down. just in case anyone wants to use them. im not familiar with mediafire, so im not sure if its a good link.
Your link works fine. Thanks for the tracks, I really appreciate it! I'll try mixing it myself with your drums. Wont be until a couple of weeks though, since I'm going traveling tomorrow.
Quote:
Well here's my stab at it. I agree you cant polish a turd (even though the version above did) but you can certainly throw a little glitter on it. I hope you don't mind but i redone the "Hetfield" galloping guitar track myself and tightened it up a little. I also took a hacksaw to the arrangement a bit but I think it works.

I haven't had a chance to play this back loudly through my monitors but it sounds pretty good through my AKG headphones. If I get a chance to I'll have a bit of tweak of it but for now, enjoy.
Thanks! The only issue I have with it is the timing on the second verse, but I guess I can't blame anyone but myself for that. I'm amazed by the creativity and skill that people on this forum posses.
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear interested

Metrik, I'm always impressed when I hear people use midi as tastefully as you did with this song. That might be due to the fact that I'm so well versed with that aspect of engineering. My needs in the studio don't typically call for it, as I mainly record live bands.

Another thing of your mix that I noticed was how powerful the bass guitar sounded. How did you achieve that? I'm workin on a "math rock" style project right now with a bassist that likes to tap a lot. I'm having difficulties capturing that low end without blowing up the high end. The high end of the bass just dominates the mix.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search