mix advice requested
New Reply
Subscribe
charliebug
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear interested

mix advice requested

so here is the deal. im VERY new to recording and mixing... ive been dabling with cubase 5 for about a year now. a few good friends of mine asked me to record their EP. this is what we got so far.

https://soundcloud.com/#cnehr-1/p1-2

we knocked this song and 3 others out in about two and a half hours. the vox are all scratch, so ignore them please. some feedback on the rest of the mix would be great tho!
charliebug
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear interested

a little more detail to how the track was recorded. it is a thre peice band of guitar, bass and drums. its a live recording except the vox track. no other overdubs/tracking. the drums are a spaced pair of pg-81's, sm57 on snare and pg-52 on the kick. the bass guitar is direct in thru the bassits amp head. i dont remember the brand or model off hand. guitar is an sm57 close miked and a behringer b-2 pro about2 feet off the amp. the guitar amp is a fender deville. addvice on better mic placement is always welcome.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear interested

The Soundcloud link doesn't take me to a song. It takes me to the soundcloud homepage for some reason...
charliebug
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear interested

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 p1(2).mp3 (6.91 MB, 32 views)
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Gear interested

sounds nice

hey charliebug

i'm also new to the recording and mixing scene
although you can hear the recordings are rather lofi i think the magic is there
i am not technical enough to tell you what you could have done differently or better
but i can tell you that i love the atmosphere, the song, the vibe
and maybe you could ask the question if the music would benefit from a more hifi approach
i have a lot of albums of bands i adore that don't sound super high end at all, but the music's there
and i think it would lose some of it's beauty when they would have been recorded and mixed superbly technically (or maybe not with the right approach?)
the other way around would be a lot worse for the band
don't lose the vibe if you'd do it more high end!
good work

christophe
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Gear addict

Hey, I took a listen and honestly I couldn't get past the first 10 seconds of it. There is something wrong with the phase in your mix. I can't tell if you've applied some sort of phasey stereo widening to the mix or if the sources are the culprit.Take everything off and start from scratch. The phase may be messed up on the recording (you have multimiked drum kits, multimiked guitar cabs etc.), in which the fix is pretty easy.

As a habit, when I mix, I zoom into waveforms of multimiked things. Say you have a multimiked guitar amp and you zoom in and mic 1 has the waveform going uphill, as mic 2 has the waveform going downhill. This is a classic out of phase scenario and is very common. Just invert the phase on one of the mics and you'll be good to go.

Someone else here can probably describe that better than me.

If not, I hope I didnt confuse you and this helps.
charliebug
30th March 2013
Old 30th March 2013
Gear interested

thanks for the feedback guys. everything is for the most part in phase. it was in fact a stereo widening effect. I had the wrong groups bussed to incorrect fx tracks. what I had intended to do was run parallel compression on the bass track with a low pass filter around 900 hertz with a spatial effect low in the mix. I instead had my drum group and guitar group bussed there :/
here is the track with that issue fixed. do you still here phase issues? also, im rather inexperienced in the realm of compression. do the drums feel to pumpy?
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 p1(329).mp3 (6.91 MB, 17 views)
30th March 2013
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Much better, I'd like to emphasize the vintage vibe to it

Still needs some mixing work to give everything its own place

The stereo is for my taste too much, so I did a couple of things there what do you think?

Took MID component from Mid/Side, put it thru OTB distressor, mixed back parallel, some eq and put everything thru OTB dbx 165

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 p1 329.mp3 (6.91 MB, 14 views)
30th March 2013
Old 30th March 2013
Gear interested

That Definitely has more focus. It doesn't feel as foggy around the mid range. As far as everything sitting in the mix better... This bass track is giving me a headache. The bassist is simultaniosly playing 2 melodic lines. One high and one low. I'm a bit lost as to how to approach sitting that in the mix. The low end on the bass is sitting around 80-95 hertz, so I did a 3db cut on the kick track there, but the low end still get bogged down. Any suggestions.
I'm defiantly going to take your advice and make some adjustments with narrowing the stereo image. Maybe that will be a good start.
30th March 2013
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The bass is ok, keep it mono, you can get the HPF on it down to 60 Hz or less, no problem, and the LPF in 900 is a bit too much, bass get his natural tone around 1KHz

Shape the low freqs eq of bass and kick so they fit like puzzle pieces.

Get a nice mix and then just a touch of stereo embellishment on one instrument, guitars in this case, it is all your mix need

Good luck!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search