Alt Rock Mix Feedback Required
Old 14th March 2013
Gear interested

Alt Rock Mix Feedback Required

Hi there
I'm soon to be taking on the massive task of recording and mixing my bands next record. I've been doing my homework on mixing and mastering techniques over the last few months and feel ready to take on the challenge.

Today i started messing around with a demo for an unfinished song and started to see how good i could make it sound as warm up for the real thing.

Would appreciate some feedback on how this mix sounds. There are no vocals but track sounds solid to me and should sound even better with vocals eventually. I'm trying to go for that big American rock sound like Alterbridge, Creed etc.

Anyway, cheers for listening and looking forward to what you guys have to say. Give me your best and worst.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Sand and bones - demo.mp3 (5.08 MB, 53 views)
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Nice demo, congrats!
But it would be better to loose that master limiter. Too loud and I don't get where the space for the vocals could be (I listen to instrumentals and imagine the vocals)

I think there would be a lot of freq clashing, bass and guitars (and vocals when mixed) will need some eq and other stuff to make them fit together

The drums, sound like the drummer is hitting at full force from the start. The impact is not so big when the power guitars enter

The clean guitar parts should be polished too

But good! I like it!
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

I had a bit of a remix and started it from scratch. Used some EQ, high pass filters, a boost here and a cut there. I really concentrated on getting the compression tighter on the bass and i stripped down my mastering chain. I think i managed to tame that master limiter this time.

Does it sound better or worse? Could it do with something else different?

Cheers in advance, i feel this is really helping me get better.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Sand and bones - mix 2.mp3 (5.08 MB, 22 views)
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

It is better!

Work the high mids, there is too much going on there
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

Cheers Mr Lau. I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

I did tweek the highs up a bit when i mastered it so maybe i just need to back off a little. Or do you think its a specific instrument i should zero in on?
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Start by lowering this area in your mix, the pic shows what happens at 2:48, with all guitars sounding at the same time. Then it is just tweaking each sound

Dont overdo it though, since you still don't mix the vocals

Are they like Blind Melon, or Pearl Jam? To have an idea myself?

Attached Thumbnails
Alt Rock Mix Feedback Required-sand-bones-2min38sec.jpg  
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

I think I'm starting to understand now how these frequencies can really effect headroom for other other parts. I brought out a frequency analyser and did as you suggested. So i tweaked down the mid-high frequencies on the heavy guitars and also on the solo guitar. Also took a bit out on the master chain and to my ear it seems to have given much more clarity to the track and a general "glue" to all the instruments. I can can really hear now where the vocals could be sitting.

What do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Sand and bones - mix 3.mp3 (4.87 MB, 34 views)
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

That's it dude!!! Now I also hear Eddie Vedder in my head along with your mix!
Old 18th March 2013
Liking the sounds man! Right up my street (and the M4 actually!). You got any shows coming up? Wouldn't mind checking you out live sometime
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search