Is my RMS too low on this track?
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Is my RMS too low on this track?

I have been trying to fight against the "loudness wars" so often read about on this forum and other places.

I thought I'd stick my neck out and simply expect my listeners to turn their volume knob up.

So I have mastered my new album with way less compression and limiter than I have ever done before.

Have I gone too far - I'd really appreciate a little bit of feedback, as I'm losing my confidence in going down this path of greater dynamics. Although I'm convinced my music sounds better like this.

Thanks
tht
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

Lol i was just going to ask where is the song, I'll give my opinion once it's uploaded
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

haha... yeah, I was about to say it was so low I can't hear it... then updated to say it's not uploading.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'd say as long as the level isn't SO LOW that I can hear quantization distortion, it's not TOO low.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear
This is one thing that always got me, for my personal music I'm always tempted to compete instead of going for pure sonic quality.. A little nervous as to how the audience would react to less loud music in Metal.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I thought I'd stick my neck out and simply expect my listeners to turn their volume knob up.

Doh
Volume knob? What's that?
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

OK, had a break from work and got time to reduce the length of the track so it would upload.

The tracks in my first OP.

So am I crazy mastering at this RMS level - I really don't want to use anymore processing even though I know
next to some releases my tracks are positively low in volume - unless of course you turn up your volume knob
then of course it will sound loud!

It's such a dilemma for me, as I like dynamic range and sound quality (well the best I can achieve with my limited gear)
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
This is one thing that always got me, for my personal music I'm always tempted to compete instead of going for pure sonic quality.. A little nervous as to how the audience would react to less loud music in Metal.
As one of the metal audience: don't worry. Alot of us are used to the volune knob as we are swapping between new and old records

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aint Nobody View Post
Volume knob? What's that?
Your worrying me!
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeswalzer View Post
As one of the metal audience: don't worry. Alot of us are used to the volune knob as we are swapping between new and old records

Sent from my HTC One X
That's re-assuring.. TBH!.
Old 8th February 2013
i would limit a couple db to bring rms to -9 - 10. it really wont hurt.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe a small dip in the mid range and a small rise in the tops? Of course it depends what kind of sound you are going for, but I think a little here and there will go a long way in opening it up. Maybe even just half a db or so moves.....

Volume wise, I wouldn't worry. Sounds natural in that sense. Didn't seem shockingly low or anything.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
Maybe a small dip in the mid range and a small rise in the tops? Of course it depends what kind of sound you are going for, but I think a little here and there will go a long way in opening it up. Maybe even just half a db or so moves.....

Volume wise, I wouldn't worry. Sounds natural in that sense. Didn't seem shockingly low or anything.
I was really only worried about volume, tonally a made a few 0.5dB moves to get all the tracks to match across the album but I didn't want to add any top as I'm not keen of bright sounding tracks as I find it tiring to listen to personally especially when a lot of my sounds are coming out of VI's.

I could dip the mid's a touch more .... it depends on how it works with my vocal - I will experiment.

Thanks for your feedback :-)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search