Metal Mix Off
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear
Metal Mix Off

I would like to see if anyone is interested just for fun to give this a mix. It's unreleased so I won't post the bands name. Don't worry I'm the drummer.

This is the half mixed version. If anyone's interested I can stick the wavs online.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19226452/mix...0footsteps.mp3
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

I would definitely be interested in this!
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear
Cool I'll upload tonight hopefully it will fit on sound cloud
Old 7th February 2013
Swimming with nanoprobes

Count me in!
Old 8th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 View Post
Count me in!
+1
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yes. Ready set mix. Where dem files?
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear
Didn't upload properly. I'll try again tonight
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear
Uploading again...
Old 9th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim View Post
Uploading again...
If SoundCloud doesn't work, try Dropbox.com or Box.net
Old 9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear
There's a couple samples of my toms on for drum replacement.
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear
Sweet I'll have a listen on speakers after work. Does anyone want a tempo track in midi form?
Old 11th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Banned

Here's My contribution to the party. I'll Listen to other's mixes and report back shortly.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 02 Metal Mix.mp3 (2.65 MB, 249 views)
Old 13th February 2013
Gear interested

Sweet! Going to go mess around with this!
Old 14th February 2013
I'll also give it a try

\m/
Old 14th February 2013
Hi guys!
Here's my version of the song was really fun mixing it.
Let me know what you think Sim ok?

Keep in touch,
Walter
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Metal_Mastered.mp3 (8.51 MB, 181 views)
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

here is my quick mix
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 m222.mp3 (8.44 MB, 1037 views)
Old 18th February 2013
Gear maniac

Allright. Here's my mix of this tune. Did it yesterday, with finishing tweaks today. I had some fun automating some seriously distorted detune (not so) underneath the lead vocals. Deftones'y, eh? :D
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Footsteps_SpedeMix_180213.mp3 (7.47 MB, 176 views)
Old 18th February 2013
Gear maniac

Some comments to other mixes:

manman:

First off you probably ought to take out the tracks where the extra tom sample hits are (which have have nothing to do with the music). :D Loud random tom hits throughout the first minute of this mix.

I'm not totally sure about the idea of featuring the ride cymbal louder than the guitars.

You've done good job keeping the vocals very middle-full; that's the only place where they have a chance to cut through. Occasionally they feel little disconnected from the mix though. I'd probably suggest trying to put just a tiny amount of delay to give it some "space". But don't drown them in reverb.

More a matter of a taste, but I would have spread the muff guitars at the slow part. Sure they cut though everything right now but they also make the whole mix narrower when they appear.

This mix shines at all those instrumental parts where the ride cymbal isn't playing. Maybe use those parts as "inner" reference and change things around to make everything else sound like those parts spectrum-wise?

PerfektChaos:

Delay on heavy guitars throughout is a quite risky move in that it might clutter a whole mix totally. If you really enjoy the delay you should probably at least honor the abrupt stops and take the delay out during them. I personally think you should take them out altogether in order to have more clarity to the whole mix.

I'm not sure if it's the snare or the vocal which also might have too much reverb (or too dark). But in general I feel that the heavy usage of dark reverb (and delay) makes this mix seem somewhat woollier than it might actually be. I've personally found that if one wants aggressive amounts of reverb in a mix, best way is to make it cut though the mids (I'm usually cutting lows and boosting 1,5kHz in these kind of reverbs).

You definitely got pretty ass-kicking bass tone. That sounds awesome!

Same as with manman's mix; those extra tom tracks (which feel really out of place) are there only for sampling reasons.

Apart from the slight washiness (coming from the dark reverbs) this mix generally feels very balanced.

Nimblemongoose:

Adding serious amounts of high end to the vocals is indeed a noble idea, but in this kind of genre (and actually in general) isn't necessarily the best execution in making the vocals audible in a mix. The dispersion of perception is quite large: When listening on loud levels the vocal esses (and the vocal tone in general) hurt my ears and on quiet levels the vocals disappear altogether. There's a reason why many choose to make the vocals come through the mids: The quieter you listen the more audible the vocals become. There's also the factor of stark contrast where the rest of you mix is quite dark (nothing wrong with that, the rest of mix sounds really nice) and the only thing I "register" in the high end is the esses; it's like there nothing else there.

Simon Morrison:

First thing that strikes me is the unnevenness of the bass. Some of the (higher) bass notes simply are too loud in the raw tracks and I feel it needs to addressed one way or another; I used both automation and shitloads of compression to anchor it.

On the other hand you've done magnificent job with the melody vocals regarding the unevenness.

This whole mix is actually quite balanced. But little to the dark and tubby side. You could very easily give this mix a fresher feel by simply boosting some high end from the master. You could get away with as much as 6 dBs at 20kHz; at that point the cymbals start to become little overwhelming. What this simple boost won't fix is the kick in which I'm having hard time hearing nothing but the low end which might be a trouble in bass-less listening environment.
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

Downloading the tracks now...
Old 19th February 2013
Hi Spede.
Thanks for your comments regarding my mix.
I assume that I'm a "darker" guy and that the mix might have too much reverb.
As for the delays... well, you shouldn't go by telling that heavy guitars don't have delays. I like to view the things more outside the box, if you know what I mean. You wrote "delays... might clutter a whole mix totally" but I don't think it's the case here. It's my point of view.

As conclusion, your mix sound pretty good. Good job.
Cheers
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

My attempt!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Metal Master.mp3 (6.55 MB, 105 views)
Old 19th February 2013
Gear addict

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 bnc-master03.mp3 (4.97 MB, 143 views)
Old 20th February 2013
Gear interested

Wow you guys are all talented at mixing

I m gonna try to do one myself for the fun of it will report back this weekend
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfektChaos View Post
Hi guys!
Here's my version of the song was really fun mixing it.
Let me know what you think Sim ok?

Keep in touch,
Walter
Like the reverbs what did you use?
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
Great mix no vocals though?

Whats your chain on bass, snare and kick.

Also be interesting to know whether thats room verb or room mics on the drums.
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear
Might reamp the bass tomorrow and do a kick sample anyone want those?
Old 20th February 2013
Gear interested

gonna take a stab at this. i really want to listen to the other mixes but dont want the influence before i start. when im done ill listen to everyone elses
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search