Feedback on my mix???
Jasonmalarkey
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear interested

Feedback on my mix???

Hi

Just wondering if any of you seasoned folk can give me some constructive advice on how to improve my mix.

I'm wanting as good a production as i can get and this is my first mix so any advice on what to change/edit etc is much appreciated.

I've recorded in to Pro Tools using a condenser mic and motu hybrid with standard mic pre amp.

thanks

J
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Shame.mp3 (3.62 MB, 84 views)
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear nut

What I thought:

Guitar: WAY too loud. and I find the sound kinda poor too.. sounds like it's been recorded with a DI and nothing else..

Vocal: Too loud too, needs some reverb to sit in the mix.

Drums: Well we can't really hear it because vocal and guitar masks it all

Harmonica: Can't really hear it too..

What I'd do: bring everything to the same level, put an effect on the guitar.. like some kind of disto or anything, and put reverb on the vocals. First things I'd do.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

I like to listen to the samples provided before I read any comment, because I'm by far not as seasoned as the real pros here on this forum, but the things I found turned out to be exactly the same as ASarian mentioned:

Guitar too loud
Vocals need some reverb (but only just enough to make them sit better in the mix, you should leave them as dry as possible, imho)
Drums almost non existent
Harmonica gets totally drowned
Some effect on the guitar would be nice, although it might be intended, it sounds a bit too much on the "lo-fi garage sound" side for my taste - or maybe try combining it with a nice acoustic for the strumming parts.
Jasonmalarkey
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

Changes made

Great thanks for the feedback. Is this any better? I appreciate i've some way to go but i'm not sure how to go about it. I'd particularly like the Tom to really stand out and sound amazing. Also how to improve the guitar sound and get the accordion to blend rhythmically with the guitar (although i can re-record it but still don't think i'll get it spot on).

Don't mind re-recording bits, any tricks would be apprecited, double tracking, parallel compression etc...

thanks

J
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Shame.mp3 (3.89 MB, 26 views)
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear nut

did you double and pan anything? It seems to me that everything is very mono.

One trick I use quite often is what I learned as the Hass effect.

You double your guitar (or vocal) track, you pan the 2 tracks you get 100% left and right, and you delay the right track by 15 to 20 ms. It really opens up the instrument and make it sound big. Not all the time though, sometimes it doesn't really work because of phase problems..

Guitar still sounds poor to me, can you put any plug-in to it? like guitar rig or whatsoever (guitar rig is what I use, I like it very much)

Overall work is much better than the 1st version, but still got stuff to do, I'd lower the guitar again just a bit like 2-3 dB, just to have it sit with everything else in the mix.

Kick: sounds very bright, but good to me. I'd maybe try to add some low frequencies so it'd be more present, but if you like it, it's fine!

Vocals: better, we can hear the difference between reverb and no reverb, but I'd try to add a bit more reverb into it. If it doesn't sound right to you, just don't add some then!

To make it short, have confidence in your ears and your instincts, I told my opinion on your mix, but it doesn't mean I'm 100% right. I'm just telling how I'd like to hear it. Feel free to post more versions on the same topic though!
Jasonmalarkey
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear interested

thanks

Thanks ASarian i'll take all that on board and have a go at making the changes. I'm in no hurry to get it right so any other perspective to help me find the right sound is much appreciated.

I'll post it here soon.

thanks

J
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear addict

re

Give me the all tracks, mono, with export from 0.0.0.0 and i'll make You ****ing famous..

keep individual level aout - 10DBfs

Jasonmalarkey
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear interested

Andrea

You offering to make this a masterpiece? Would f**ling love to hear it mixed by someone who knows what they're doing, see what the stem files are capable of.

Give me your details and I'll send them through...
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear addict

re

Yes I will try, Check Your Private Message
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search