Bashing my head against the wall of percussion
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear interested

Bashing my head against the wall of percussion

Hi, for my first post I'd like to share with you my attempts at a progressive morning psy style. I'm fine on music theory, I've been playing piano most of my life so alot of the composition aspects I think I can grab at intuitively. The problem is my percussion and technical knowhow is lacking, and I've fallen into a bit of a rut.

I'm hoping I could get some advice or maybe a neat trick or two to try out to get a handle on making interesting atonal percussive rhythms (using guys like e-clip, nerso etc as inspiration) that is the dominant feature of electro/progressive goa psy. Bear in mind this track is a little empty and boring for now since I'm hoping to refine the gaps with interesting rhythms.

I'm using ableton live 8 and alot of it's features are still largely a mystery to me so any interesting tips would also be appreciated. There's probably some cool stuff you can do with arpeggiators and perc I haven't managed to wrap my head around yet, I've just been using drum rack loaded with a bunch of samples and drawing in random crap in the midi editor for the most part lol.

https://soundcloud.com/myconica/watashiwamix2

edit: replaced the track with a new link, didn't realise how low the upper material was compared to the kick and bass

Last edited by Myconica; 3rd January 2013 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: updated the track
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search