Login / Register
 
Mixing a Self Produced Album- Song 3
New Reply
Subscribe
SDB_12
Thread Starter
#1
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 906

Thread Starter
SDB_12 is offline
Mixing a Self Produced Album- Song 3

Hey!

Song Removed.

Man working on your own stuff is tough!!!

Here is the 3rd song I'm working on off my up coming album. Any comments, suggestions, tips, etc. are welcome. I'm always up for learning and improving. I'm leaving the board up for a day or two as I wont be in the studio. When I come back, I may make some tweaks if necessary, but we will see.

I'm wondering what you guys think of the low end? I want it beefy and warm, but not overbearing.

For those wondering, the gear I'm using to mix the album:

-Focal CMS 50's and NS-10's
-Midas Venice F16
-Hardware:
*API 2500, Aurora GTQ2, EL7 FATSO, Mohog 1176, FMR RNC
-Software:
*Pro Tools, Waves SSL/API/V Series, Slate VCC/VTM/Trigger, TL Space, Q10, Massey Bundle, Waves Super Tap Delay, etc...


Looking forward to your comments. Thanks!

Seth
__________________


www.OFFBrandProductions.com
www.SethBrand.com

OFFICIALLY released my self produced album! Check it out at https://sethbrand.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by SDB_12; 5th January 2013 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: New Mix
#2
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
  #2
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 369

Wiz_Oz is offline
I come across your songs, intermittently, and always really love the sound of your voice and production skills....

just wanted to say, you know, good stuff...

back to your regularly scheduled program

cheers

Wiz
__________________
www.ozlandmusic.com
SDB_12
Thread Starter
#3
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 906

Thread Starter
SDB_12 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
I come across your songs, intermittently, and always really love the sound of your voice and production skills....

just wanted to say, you know, good stuff...

back to your regularly scheduled program

cheers

Wiz
Thanks!

I really appreciate your comments and I'm stoked that you enjoy the music. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Btw...I checked out your site and your song "How Long." VERY nice! I really like your production style as well and the drum sounds on the song. The music and arrangement really serve the song well...and that's what it's all about in my opinion. I'd like to hear more music from you...I'm assuming you mixed and mastered that yourself?
#4
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 949

Id Ridden is offline
i find the bass a bit overbearing, but just a wee bit...

i find the vocal a little sibilant too and maybe a tad over processed for the song, or inversely processed compared to the music...

i guess the song and mix don't quite gel for me, while both are good, it seems that this songs needs a different mix and the mix you have needs a different song, something like that anyways...

it's hard to put my finger on exactly what distracts me from the emotion and feeling of the song, but it's something...

again song is good, performance is good and the mix seems technically good, but the transmission of emotion and feeling and energy gets lost somewhere for me... almost like you are painting by numbers instead of by feel...

take that for what it's worth, could just be a taste thing...
SDB_12
Thread Starter
#5
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 906

Thread Starter
SDB_12 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id Ridden View Post
i find the bass a bit overbearing, but just a wee bit...

i find the vocal a little sibilant too and maybe a tad over processed for the song, or inversely processed compared to the music...

i guess the song and mix don't quite gel for me, while both are good, it seems that this songs needs a different mix and the mix you have needs a different song, something like that anyways...

it's hard to put my finger on exactly what distracts me from the emotion and feeling of the song, but it's something...

again song is good, performance is good and the mix seems technically good, but the transmission of emotion and feeling and energy gets lost somewhere for me... almost like you are painting by numbers instead of by feel...

take that for what it's worth, could just be a taste thing...
This is very interesting to me, thank you for sharing, and well put.

If you can find anyway to elaborate on your comments, that would be awesome. If not, then it's ok, but I'm very interested in this. We all have different opinions such as "more snare, less reverb, etc."..but I think that what you are talking about is a lot of times the difference between a good and GREAT engineer/producer/mixer. While my mix may be technically good, I do think that something is a bit weird as you mention, and may be that the emotion is lost somewhere in the song...I find it very hard to work on my own music like this, with no outside help (that's why I turn to you guys ) I find that I want everything to be "just right" instead of just mixing.

Anyways, I appreciate you commenting. Again, if you can somehow pinpoint some things that make you feel this way, I'd be very thankful. I'm no longer interested in making "technically good" mixes...I want to nail the emotion and feel and it's 10x harder to do with my own stuff...I think I've lost perspective.

Thanks!
SDB_12
Thread Starter
#6
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 906

Thread Starter
SDB_12 is offline
Any other comments? Even if it's good, or you disagree with what's been said, I'd like to hear from a few more people. I fear I've lost a little perspective and can't look from the outside in on the song right now. I plan to clear the board tonight and move on for now.

I will say that after trying to casually listen for a day or two now...it's not a bad mix at all...sounds good to me actually. I'm liking it for the most part overall, still think it has something a bit different about it though. I showed another audio buddy of mine, and his comment was that it sounded awesome, and not like most mixes you hear. So he basically said the same thing most of you have, but with a positive twist on it.

Again, my perspective is a bit biased now...and kinda hazy...looking for more opinions. Thanks!
#7
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 949

Id Ridden is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
This is very interesting to me, thank you for sharing, and well put.

If you can find anyway to elaborate on your comments, that would be awesome. If not, then it's ok, but I'm very interested in this. We all have different opinions such as "more snare, less reverb, etc."..but I think that what you are talking about is a lot of times the difference between a good and GREAT engineer/producer/mixer. While my mix may be technically good, I do think that something is a bit weird as you mention, and may be that the emotion is lost somewhere in the song...I find it very hard to work on my own music like this, with no outside help (that's why I turn to you guys ) I find that I want everything to be "just right" instead of just mixing.

Anyways, I appreciate you commenting. Again, if you can somehow pinpoint some things that make you feel this way, I'd be very thankful. I'm no longer interested in making "technically good" mixes...I want to nail the emotion and feel and it's 10x harder to do with my own stuff...I think I've lost perspective.

Thanks!
yeah that's a hard one, i don't really know...

but like i said the mix sounds good...

anyways, hmmm, mixing your own music is definitely hard, let me see, when i mix my own i focus most on the emotion i want to try and transfer to the listener and while doing that i fix any problems that might get in the way of that, and also take care of some technical stuff... but i definitely won't do anything because of any status quo of doing something...

so whatever it is you want this song to say you need to try and match the mix to it... for me with my own stuff i often have this image of an arm coming out of the speaker and punching someone in the face, it helps provide an image of how i want it to translate which has nothing to do with any technicalities... if i get to a point where i feel like an arm is coming out and caressing someone, then i missed the mark and have to backtrack to get it right...

so it's hard to pinpoint really, it's just a feeling... that is my focus when i mix a song, as it plays over and repeats certain little technicalities will arise and i will take care of them and then go back to making sure the feeling is there, and how that happens is really difficult to say, because it just does...

maybe you just need to try something different with the workflow to make it feel like a break between the production and recording and writing to the mixing and then treat it like someone else's music... Then find the core emotion and feeling you want to convey and just try and help accentuate that and really bring it forth and only worry about technical stuff in how it applies to making the mix translate that emotion and feeling...
#8
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
  #8
Gear addict
 
Simon Morrison's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: California

Simon Morrison is offline
A little too much energy and mud in the lower frequencies.
I would recommend high pass filtering all the guitars (acoustic, electric and bass).
The acoustic guitar is occupying space below 70 Hz. Try a high pass up to 80 Hz.
The low end of the electric guitar is competing with the bass. Try a high pass up to 100 Hz.
The bass guitar is occupying a LOT of space. Try trimming in the 20 - 40 Hz and 250 - 800 Hz ranges to remove muddiness and resonance.
There is a lot of energy below 30 Hz. Try a low shelf or steep high pass up to 30 Hz.
__________________

Simon Morrison • Music Technologist • Audio Architect
www.MorrisonStudios.com | www.AudioEngineeringSolutions.com
#9
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Arichlsss's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 785

Arichlsss is offline
I like your vocal, production, mix and the recording isn't bad either.

1. the guitar in my right ear feels unbalanced and distracts me from the vocal until the chorus where I get some left ear love possible solution make a mono spring reverb wet 100 percent with guitar and pan opposite to ballance

2. The vocal is very up close and I like it but the drums are like look at me when they come in and again distract me from the vocal.
Possible solution :Use a reverb the (front to back pan knob)and work with transients to make the drums play nicer behind the vocals.

Good luck
SDB_12
Thread Starter
#10
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 906

Thread Starter
SDB_12 is offline
You guys are amazing. Thank you for the tips! I'm going to go back and start playing around with these things a bit to see what happens.

Believe it or not, the guitars, and most things are hi passed around 80hz or higher...via the hpf on my console. Maybe I need more.

The vocal is pretty up close, which I thought worked for the song. There is actually a great deal of delay going on in the vocal (although you really can't hear it)...but I like subtle delay. I may try a splash of verb or something...especially more so on the drums as mentioned.

And that right guitar has a lot of delay opposite panned to the left, which you also can't hear that well. I may just be to subtle with my effects and need to bring them all up a bit. Thanks again guys, this is all very helpful.

SDB_12
Thread Starter
#11
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 906

Thread Starter
SDB_12 is offline
Ok, did a quick revision with the following:

-Took some highs and mids out of the vocal just a bit to make less harsh
-Boosted the vocal delay just a little bit
-Added a mono plate reverb to the vocal, mixed very low
-Brought up the right guitar reverb (which is panned opposite left) a little
-Brought up the snare reverb and added a bit of verb to the overheads/rooms
-Increased the hpf on bass from 42 hz to about 60hz and also cut some low mids out of bass around 300-400hz
-Cut some low mids out of guitars
-Brought up the hpf on all of the guitar and vocal effects to clean up the low end even more
-Lowered the level of the snare a bit
-Added just a bit more verb to the acoustic

I may have left out a few small things...but that was the main stuff. New mix posted up top. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

P.s. I downloaded Harrison Mixbus tonight, and plan to try using it to mix a tune to see how it turns out. I think it may get me into a different mind set for mixing, new workflow, etc...could be a good thing. We shall see.

Thanks guys!
#12
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
  #12
Gear addict
 
Simon Morrison's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: California

Simon Morrison is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
Ok, did a quick revision with the following:

...
-Increased the hpf on bass from 42 hz to about 60hz and also cut some low mids out of bass around 300-400hz
...

Thanks guys!
This is removing some fundamental bass frequencies - leave your bass HPF at 42 Hz.
SDB_12
Thread Starter
#13
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 906

Thread Starter
SDB_12 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison View Post
This is removing some fundamental bass frequencies - leave your bass HPF at 42 Hz.
Thanks Simon...I'll switch it back. I'm still messing with it. How do you feel about the low mid cut on the bass? Good or not? I think it cleared out the track a bit and let the vocal pop through better, along with other things. But I haven't done mix checks on all my systems with it yet.
SDB_12
Thread Starter
#14
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 906

Thread Starter
SDB_12 is offline
Ok, I re-uploaded with the bass set back the way it was the first time. All other changes are still there though...
#15
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
  #15
Gear addict
 
Simon Morrison's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: California

Simon Morrison is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
Thanks Simon...I'll switch it back. I'm still messing with it. How do you feel about the low mid cut on the bass? Good or not? I think it cleared out the track a bit and let the vocal pop through better, along with other things. But I haven't done mix checks on all my systems with it yet.
Much better! This helped both the kick (definition) and vocals (articulation).
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Lefrançais / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
108
karljohnson / So much gear, so little time!
1
NorthEnlight / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
9
2xUeL / So much gear, so little time!
43
Damian Taylor / Music Computers
4

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.