Login / Register

Recording an acoustic guitar --> what's my problem?
New Reply
Subscribe
moulagaufr
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Red face Recording an acoustic guitar --> what's my problem?

Hi !
Please, help me....

I'm trying to record an acoustic guitar but the result is not very convincing...

Here is two exemples of the same recording :

1- Dry version :
Taylor 812 --> DPA 4099 (around 14th fret) --> Great River MP500NV --> MOTU 828 mk2 (24/44.1) --> CuBase Studio 5

It sounds both boomy and metallic? ... not very natural anyway?...
something wrong around 180-230Hz ?? ... and maybe above 6000Hz?

2 - Wet version :
Wave X-Noise --> UAD Neve 1081 ---> UAD 1176LN --> UAD LA2A --> PowerCore VSS3

So, what is the problem ?
- the room?
- the MOTU converters?
- ???

I could use others mics : I've tried the mic coming with the ARC2 but it makes no big difference... and so with my Peluso 2247LE...

Thanks !
(And indeed i'm also a bad guitar player, but that's not the point...)
Attached Files
File Type: wav Test Taylor 812 Dry.wav (3.09 MB, 36 views) File Type: wav Test Taylor 812 Wet.wav (3.10 MB, 25 views)
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

One thing that will probably help is that I can hear quite a bit of noise... could be clothes and what is probably a computer fan? Get the computer at least as far away as posible... When you're recording yourself, it's tempting to have it all set up right next to each other, but try setting the computer up further away and deal with the few steps it takes to get to the mic setup.

The room could be accentuating some of the highs, but I would bet the main issue is mic placement in this case.

The 4099 is a clip-on? And you say 14th fret, but you don't say how far away... if it's clipped on and close to the strings, that would explain the metallic tone.

Try clipping it to something like a mic stand and experiment with it being a little further from the fretboard, pointing towards the body a little?

The feel free to hang a couple of blankets if you're in a small room, just to tame the high frequency reflections - obviously not as good as real treatment or a great room, but doable on a tight budget.

Worth considering, anyway.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for you reply,

the room was my dressing room, small and with few reflective surfaces... but there is the noise coming from the ventilation unit from the building (can't turn it off...)

the 4099 is a clip on mic. And I put it at about 10-15 cm from the fretboard. Maybe it was too close from the fretboead, i'll try to fix that...

i've listening to my recording over and over and i think the annoying thing is that kind of "sweep" or wha effect i can hear on the guitar, like if the frequency of a filter was going up and down... but where is that coming from?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Yeah, start around a foot and see from there... You'll get more room sound further away from the instrument, but the instrument will sound more natural.

I'm not hearing the effect you mentioned, but what you describe is a comb filter sweeping that happens when there's a slight reflection off something and then as things move (the instrument or things around it), the combs change and cause that swishy sound.

-s
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search