Login / Register

I finally passed the 10k mark on soundcloud!
New Reply
Subscribe
HonaCostello
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear nut

I finally passed the 10k mark on soundcloud!

Using cheap gear!
AKG120
Chorus - Nady Phantom Power
Verses - Fast Track Pro
DAW - MAGIX 14
SONITUX COMPRESSOR + C1 WAVES BUNDLE

Dopeness!! Check it out btw!
http://soundcloud.com/surrealgang/hona-costello-high

Featured on top blogs on the net!! I thank them all !!
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Congrat's. !
Well deserved, it's a pretty cool track.
HonaCostello
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Congrat's. !
Well deserved, it's a pretty cool track.
thanks!! Yea. My newer song isnt doing to well lol. I'm releasing another song now. I hope it does these type of numbers.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to The J
Mixwise - unlistenable. Kick sounds over-pumping, it also affects vocals, sometimes clearly conflicting with them.
Songwise - something I would skip if I hear it, lotta songs like this nowadays, all the same, same ayo-hey-hey, same lyrics, same chords and progressions, same mood, same everything.
Was a popular kind of stuff to make in 2011, when well produced, but not now.

Cheerio,
J
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J View Post
Mixwise - unlistenable. Kick sounds over-pumping, it also affects vocals, sometimes clearly conflicting with them.
Songwise - something I would skip if I hear it, lotta songs like this nowadays, all the same, same ayo-hey-hey, same lyrics, same chords and progressions, same mood, same everything.

Cheerio,
J
I thought you may have been being harsh with your comments, because I read this before listening to the track...However upon listening, I completely agree with you. The mix needs a whole lot of work. That kick is causing all sorts of problems. There are some harsh frequencies in there that need some addressing too.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Very interesting!
I agree that the compression is a bit heavy and it is not a perfect production, but he did list the budget gear that was used.
The main point was that he reached 10 K hits (now 11) which is quite an impressive feat.
There are heaps of positive comments there too, and not one of them mentions compression or poor engineering.
I guess most people don't really care about the trivial things that we spend so much time, energy and money focusing on.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J View Post

Cheerio,
J
Dude, I don't care what anyone else says, it's a solid song. And most people aren't gonna hear the issues that we do. They're simply gonna like it or not. I like it. Keep it up. Stay at the mix. I think it's worth your time. And lastly, your gonna find a lot of this stuff like the guy wrote above. People love to rip it up on here. No offense to him, it's the story of the internet ... anonymity breeds disrespect. Keep at that mix.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
CEO - Z-Shift LLC

I dunno, but I actually prefer my stuff being ripped apart. I mean, are you gonna trust your mom's opinion as objective?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
Dude, I don't care what anyone else says, it's a solid song. And most people aren't gonna hear the issues that we do. They're simply gonna like it or not. I like it. Keep it up. Stay at the mix. I think it's worth your time. And lastly, your gonna find a lot of this stuff like the guy wrote above. People love to rip it up on here. No offense to him, it's the story of the internet ... anonymity breeds disrespect. Keep at that mix.
You're right. Many people won't hear what professional engineers hear. He posted the song on a site dedicated to the craft of audio production...so when people comment on just that, one shouldn't be surprised. Most criticism is not meant to be disrespectful. Maybe he could take some of the advice and get 100,000 hits on his next song. I wish the kid the best.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

There's being constructive, then there's being a little prick.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
There's being constructive, then there's being a little prick.
So is this an example of someone being a prick? Were you being ironic?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thought you were being constructive, until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crying1986 View Post
So is this an example of someone being a prick? Were you being ironic?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
I dunno, but I actually prefer my stuff being ripped apart. I mean, are you gonna trust your mom's opinion as objective?

No, no, constructive is cool ... we're all here for that ... but come on, there's a way to say it without coming across like a dick, too. We all know this.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Agreed. But seriously though, people who act like that aren't getting laid, and that's the real problem with this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
No, no, constructive is cool ... we're all here for that ... but come on, there's a way to say it without coming across like a dick, too. We all know this.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
CEO - Z-Shift LLC

People only hate stuff worth hating. It takes time to write hate. If they really thought it was a joke, they wouldn't bother wastng their time...

30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

It's nowhere near "harsh" and absolutely not agressive, hateful, etc.
I agree that it's just silly to listen to somebody talking shit without a reason, but we can read everybody's opinions here, not just "this shit sucks".
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

Me, personally, when I listen to somebody's work, usually I try to take a normal listener's position (I'm paying attention to details only when I mix and listen to something very very careful), so If I don't hear anything what really ruins the song - I just sit back, relax, and enjoy, or at least try to.

With this song we have 2 problems, first with "too-punchy" kick.
Second with the musical aspect of it, but what I was saying is just my opinion - I know that a lot of people will like it and guy already have 10k+ hits.
If we wish the best - we have to give our best, even if that's just a piece of advice, even if it is very harsh.

Have a great New Years Eve guys,
J
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

I would agree, the kick is all kinds of messed up. My guess is that it has to do with the room you are working in, or maybe the headphones. If you had a good set of headphones, you would be able to spot out the problems with the kick and fix them right up. Congrats on all those hits. Not my kind of music, but seems to me it has a good foundation, just needs a little tweaking. Not that I'm an expert, because I AM NOT.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search