Unpolished Pop Punk (Wonder Years/NOFX)
New Reply
Subscribe
sam guaiana
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Unpolished Pop Punk (Wonder Years/NOFX)

Hey guys, looking for some advice on a mix I did. I like doing mixes out of my element these days. I've recorded this band before and their last EP was more polished than this.

Drum sampling was very minimal, the kick is real unless there were weak hits, and any sampling done was from the kit itself, no slate or premade samples. And they're blended WAY quieter than I ever blend samples.

Lemme know what you guys like/think/what should be changed

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 ELEVEN MIX 1.mp3 (3.33 MB, 141 views)

My band - July

My recordings - Demo Reel
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

I think it sounds pretty good man. I like the balance, and the vocals. The snare sound is nice. I might bring it up a db but that could just be a preference thing. I'm not digging the kick at all though. It just doesnt sound good to me. That too could just be my ears. It sounds too "buttony"...I dont know how to articulate what i'm hearing. I would bring down some attack, and add some low end. Listen to the album Hoss by Lagwagon...thats the kick sound I would go for. Overall it sounds sweet. Keep on rocking.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

+1 about the kick. Sounds over compressed.

Overall sounds sweet though!
sam guaiana
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the advice guys!
The band doesn't like it, they want it to sound more "polished" like the last EP. I guess no one is into the rawness of it all anymore. I might keep some elements of this mix, mostly vocal related, but I go back for a remix in the new year.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear nut

Great track -- your mix is pretty awesome. I agree with most of what has been said thus far. The kick is a little too snappy to me. The snare sounds really cool, but it does sound a little quiet at parts. It could possibly benefit from a little more reverb, too.

Some really cool guitar tones in there, btw. This track definitely reminds me of Mockingbird Wish Me Luck and The Story So Far.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear nut

For the style of the song I kind of dig the raw vibe. Definitely a Wonder Years/The Story So Far sound. Can only agree with the kick comments. Everything else sounds pretty rad.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear addict

Yeah, the kick could use some more low-end and less attack, but overall, I think it's a nice mix.

It's unfortunate the band doesn't like it. I think some mastering would move it closer to the sound they want. Before remixing it, you could consider having the track mastered and showing it to them again. I'd definitely fix the kick, though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search