Mixing Advice
New Reply
Subscribe
joymode
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Mixing Advice

So after taking a few years off from music, I'm jumping back in and working with a few bands here in LA. doing Production and some remixes. My remixes are starting to get some attention, because apparently i have a knack for recreating a track that is entirely different than the original. For bands that are starting to Buzz around LA.

My secret? I completely start from scratch and pretty much just keep the vocal, and redesign the melody and atmosphere and... well just about everything else.

My music is very drony, full of echo, atmospheric and sometimes i feel like, while produced well, just doesnt have that final pro edge. I'm all for shopping it out to an engineer for finalization, But I would like to actually be able to pull it off myself.

Have a listen to a couple of my recent tracks. And give me some advice!

DVYDRNS VS OMNIFLUX - SHE AND HIM - WILD FLOOD MIX
https://soundcloud.com/dvydrns/davy-...s-omniflux-she

DVYDRNS VS DEKADES - DARK HORSES APOCALYPSE NOW TERMINAL MIX
https://soundcloud.com/dvydrns/dvydrns-vs-dekades-dark

Thank you so much for lending your ear!
joymode
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

that bad huh?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

They dont sound all that bad to me...they just sound like something anyone with garageband could do. I dont mean to be rude and this style of work isnt what I do. When I hear it though, it just sounds like something I could do very easily I guess. Like I said though, it doesnt sound bad. Keep up the work.
joymode
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

interesting. I'm not sure how they sound like garage band. but thanks?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farab View Post
Hi joymode I just listened to https://soundcloud.com/dvydrns/davy-...s-omniflux-she

engineering wise its not a bad mix at all.. I think what Crying meant was the production "sounded like garageband" because it was pretty simple drum patterns and cymbals etc.

I do like it thought its really chilled but maybe in the future try and mix up the drum pattern?
other than that it sounds good!
You're right. I didnt mean to sound like a dick. I do like the mix. Sorry for coming across as rude. I was in a strange mood and I meant nothing by it.
joymode
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

only listened to this one: https://soundcloud.com/dvydrns/davy-...s-omniflux-she

and, I have to add the caveat that I typically do not do this type of music.... so, keep that in mind.

My first impression was:
1) the drum loop in your remix is not synced rhythmically with the rest of the band. This is particularly noticeable in the last beat of the loop (second measure) - when the snare hits the last 16th note in the phrase - the drum loop is rushed. My guess is that the original recording has a swing to it's rhythmic structure, while the remix drum loop is highly quantized/rhythmically strict. It just doesn't work.
2) I'm not digging the reverb on the snare. It's distorted and has a rhythmically odd pre-delay happening, which in turn makes the song's "space" feel secondary to the remix's drum loop.

My thoughts on the mix are that it is ok. However, when I listen to something that is remixed, I often wonder what it is bringing to the table that is different than the original mix. I'm not hearing much in this example except a highly effected drum loop and a few other reverb/delay based overlays. I believe this may be what the earlier poster mentioned as sounding like something that could have been done rather quickly - in garageband, even.

I'm hope I'm not putting you off, because I dig that you're working on it... and that you asked for advice. I hope my advice isn't taken as destructive; was hoping to be constructive.

Cheers!
joymode
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

Not taken as destructive at all..

As far as what its bringing to the table thats different from the original... its a completely new track. Only thing I kept was the vocals. The rest is me and Logic. and FM8 and MASSIVE and a kit I built in BATTERY.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search