My first country mix. Feedback welcome!
New Reply
Subscribe
Bladesoar
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear interested

My first country mix. Feedback welcome!

Hey ya'll I just finished mixing and mastering the song Beautiful and wanted to see what ya'll thought since there's nothing better than hearing feedback from musicians. Hope ya'll like it though, very excited to see your thoughts!
https://soundcloud.com/juanxfranco/beautiful
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear addict

Very nice song! Great work. The overall sound is really good, and the production is great too. Reminds me sort of Kenny Chesney (I mean that as a compliment).

I have only a few suggestions. Mix wise, maybe just a bit more dynamic movement in a few spots to help give the song some contrast/drama. For example with the drum fills/run ups to the choruses etc, if you can push the mix up in those parts that will help carry the energy into those sections. If you can, maybe reduce the limiting a few dB on the master just to allow the drum transients to poke through a bit more.

I find that the clean electric that is panned left sometimes detracts from the lead vocal. It might just be a hair loud is all (nothing serious). It has a lot of body compared to the vocal at times, so in lieu of lowering the volume maybe try eq'ing out a bit more of the lower mids say 250Hz and below. You won't have to do much, it's just to prevent it from stealing the spotlight from the vocal.

All in all, I really like this song, and your mix ! Thanks so much for sharing!
Cheers
Rob

the Audio Mastering Checklist

Trust me, a great mix has almost nothing to do with your converters ! Read my four most critical mix tips to achieving clear, dynamic and musical mixes.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear nut

+1 all of the above.
It might be a "style"-ting, but I think the bassgt is a wee notch too low for my taste.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hey!

Nice song I like it. I agree with a lot of what Rob said above.

The first thing that came to mind as soon as the song started playing was "dated." To me, it doesn't sound like a modern country production. It's too wet, almost has an 80's vibe going with that snare and vocal verb. Make it more natural in my opinion.

Lower the left panned verse guitar a bit as Rob said. Also, the solo lead guitar is a bit muddy/murky sounding. The mix overall needs more automation. Think of it as a performance within itself...perform the faders. Ride things up and down to make it more interesting and to build momentum throughout the song. Give it movement.

Overall, nice start!

www.OFFBrandProductions.com
www.SethBrand.com

OFFICIALLY released my self produced album! Check it out at https://sethbrand.bandcamp.com/
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Hi,
My 2c.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much reverb everywhere. It's just creating a messy, muddy mix that lacks definition.

Bass is thin and muddy, and could use more level.

Lots of unfriendly stuff in the 200-800 range. Lacking some tonal balance.

Snare and hats are really distracting. I'm not opposed to loud drums in a song, but these are not sitting nicely with the rest of the music - but it's hard to be more specific as the verb is so heavy all over the place that it is really hard to determine more about this.

Here's just one random youtube example of a modern country mix. Pull a track like this into your session and do some A/B - this is more along the lines of a modern country mix. Keith Urban - Sweet Thing (Digital Video Single) - YouTube
Bladesoar
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks a lot for the feedback. The day after I posted this I reformatted my computer because I was having some issues with it. Still in the process of installing all my software back on it. I can't wait to implement some of the changes ya'll have suggested. I re-listened to the song with your feedback in mind and I can totally see what you mean. As soon as I get my programs up and running I will make the necessary changes and hopefully the mix will sound way better, then I'll post on here to let ya'll know when I do. Thanks again.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Snare sounds very drum machine-ish. IDK if it was sound replaced or its just the reverb but its too static throughout the song.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search