My first male/female due... Epic Piano Ballad Requires Critique
New Reply
Subscribe
garfieldmayor
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Gear Head

My first male/female due... Epic Piano Ballad Requires Critique

Hey all I'm pretty pleased with this mix... Just a few things that I'll change in the final reckoning but I'd love to hear anyone elses thoughts on where I might tighten it up?

Comrades and Friends Mix3 192.mp3

Great learning experience this one... I spent a long time trying to put the different voices in subtly different positions in space. I also battled with getting the big booming kick drum not to compromise the bass gtr tone. Towards the end of the mix I started filtering the master bus to help me better analyse sub 200hz.. Definitely think this is worth trying if you've never had a go - I struggle to hear the low end anything like i can the midrange so this really helped me.

Anyway fire at will I'm ready to take your hits!

Cheers g.

www.garfieldmayor.com
garfieldmayor
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Head

BTW can anyone tell me how you embed tracks in the player like I see a lot of people doing eg here?

Any advice much appreciated!
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear addict

There's some noise early in the tune. If that's not from the piano, be sure to trim all of your tracks up to the point those instruments come in to hide... I also hear a lip smack in the first couple of syllables - gotta cut those!

If the noise is from the piano... maybe find where it's coming from and try to get rid of it?

Also, the male vox sounds filtered a little weird - especially when it's exposed? Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like maybe a reflection off of something in the room really close?

Okay, maybe those aren't helping you now, but something to think about.

Up until the drums, it's got good balance. I think I might have gone for a slightly different treatment on some of the instruments, but that's more aesthetic.

I'm sure you want anthemic, but the drums may be a tad over the top? It could just be changing the verb decay and trying to control the tom ringing though.

s
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Head

Hey Scott thanks so much for taking the time to put down your opinions!

Yeah I'd picked up on the noise - I think it's coming from a EQ in 'analogue' mode... Normally I wouldn't think twice about switching this out but I think it's masking some of the nasty HF in the male vocal (my vocal mic is a poor match for my voice methinks). I’ll have a play though and nail it down one way or another.

Can you let me know the word relating to the lip smack? I checked and couldn’t find anything that bothered me - in fact I rode up some stuff to ensure the words were clear – could be one of those lol!

I wonder if the weird filtering you describe relates to the aforementioned nasty HF which I deep notched in a couple of places above 10K? Or it could be a reflection off the keyboard but from (at least some of it was played and sung simultaneously) though it’s a really dry room I have… Or (and this is my guess) it’s just a badly chosen spatial effect… I seem to have real problems choosing reverbs and delays at the moment – I just can’t seem to picture what I want with any clarity. I experiment a fair bit but them always seem to settle on something mediocre! ?

As far as the ambience/anthemic thing goes I think I’m happy with it… I actually like dry stuff but I spent a long time working on the size thing here and having the toms ring longer than a typical pop mix was an important factor in maintaining power in the drum kit whilst still being able to have it in a big space… It was quite a juggling act. However setting aesthetics aside if the toms are muddying things up I’ve overcooked it on a technical level what do you think? I really noticed with this mix how ambience can be like compression or high end – your ear can get used to it and you end up putting in more and more. Like I said though on a fresh listen it didn’t feel swamped.

Thanks again so much and if you do have chance to respond I’d be really interested in your further thoughts!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search