Login / Register

I need advice to become a better mix engineer! Kill my mix please!
New Reply
Subscribe
Boska
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Gear interested

I need advice to become a better mix engineer! Kill my mix please!

Boska
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Gear interested

bump
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Banned

Boska
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear interested

Drums: Kick- Shure Beta 52, Snare: Shure SM57, Hi-hat - Shure SM7B, Tom - Sennheiser e604, Floor tom - Sennheiser MD421, OH - 2x Shure SM57 and Room - Røde NT1-a

Bass:Fender American Jazz Bass running through A D.I (I don`t know which brand...) into an Ampeg 600 watt combo with tubes in the pre section into Sennheiser MD421

Guitar: Washburn (ES 335 copy) into Marshall DSL 100 with Marshall 1960 cabinet miced up with Shure SM57 and SM7B

Guitar dub: Same guitar, same amp, but I alternated the mics between an SM57 and an CAD TSM 411 to get some different sounds.

Filter guitars: Guitar running through Line 6 FM4 before hitting the amp which was miced up with an SM57.

Vocals : SM7B

Everything went into my Profire 2626 used an GAP pre-73 on Snare, SM57 on the guitar amp, MD421 on the bass amp and the vocal mic.
I mixed using an RNC and an RNLA as hardware comps, think I used them on only the vocals.
CLA-2A on kick, 1176 on Snare, and API 2500 on drum buss.
I used alot of Waves plugs overall.
CLA-2A on bass.
I used the Aphex aural exiter plugin on the vocals on the b-side.
Used some Massey plugs to.

Can`t remember much more than that other than I used the PSP master eq, and SSL master comp on the master channel
Boska
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear interested

bump again! It`s not perfect! please listen through and give response
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear nut

I think you need to brighten things up a bit, especially the guitars at the beginning to make them pop without more volume. Check out "Bom Bom Bom" by Living Things, the intro guitar there might give you some inspiration regarding treatment in that department. I'd guess remove 500 from them and add around the 2K range. You can hear the compression on the drums if you listen closely to the snare and cymbals (if thats what you're going for great), and it needs more brightening to stand out without volume.
Good luck dude!
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boska View Post
the music sounds pretty good... the vox don't seem to go well with it... too much distortion. i would have 2 busses 1 clean 1 distorted and brought down the distortion one a few db, on the main vox i would roll off more low end and bump up 8k just a tad to help it pop threw this mix a bit... the gtr's seem to get lost a bit in the mix... drum n bass sound good.. i like the keys... not sure how the gtr's were done, maybe sm7? try using a ribbon and the sm7 and possibly a good condenser and blend (condenser to here all the little details, the sm7 for the meat, and use the ribbon to get that soft top smooth jazzy end) then i would blend all those too my liking.. my 2 cents bro
Boska
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the advice! I will try some of these things and see if it gets better! I went for abit muddy and distorted sound, I wanted it to sound vintage
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear maniac

yes vintage is good, but does not mean muddy... if u listen to old led Zeppelin its not muddy by far. in fact you can hear every drum beat nothing gets lost. what u r hearing is the saturation of analog tape thickening up the mix...
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear maniac

I must agree it sounds a bit dark!

The cymbals are not as defined and as shinny as I'd like them. Would love the hear them a bit more bright especially the high end of the frequency as that would really make them silky.

I also don't like the way you've made the drums so narrow.....I'd advise you to widen those overheads to make those drums big.

The distortion on the vox is to much and just makes it sound muddy and poorly recorded.

I think the vocals need tuning as well as sometimes it just sounds off to my ears.

My guess is you will also have to edit a bit the timing throughout. It sounds a bit to monophonic as well. Make it wide!

Cheers man!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search