jonbd
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Head

Modern Rock Mix

23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear nut

The first one sounds pretty normal to me, but the second song - the vocal is basically drowned under everything else and I've got this feeling that you put way too much mids on the vocal tracks, it sounds like under some radio effect to me during the entire song. I think the first problem is that all the instruments are pretty bright - and I mean it as a good thing but basically the brightness makes it sound louder and when the level of every instrument in the composition is close or pretty close to the level of your vocal, it will sound like they are all in the same range / frequencies. That doesn't allow your vocal to shine. Just my opinion.
jonbd
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Head

Thanks very much for the comments, much appreciated. Listening to the second song I can hear exactly what you have described which is encouraging! I'll do some tweaking to it and re-listen to the rest of the songs, see if something similar is going on.
jonbd
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear Head

I decided i've spent far too long on this already (over a year on and off, using it as a learning tool) so have finished the album and put the whole lot up here for anyone who wants a listen/download:

http://soundcloud.com/brokendaylight/sets/these-are-the-days/

I'll take all i've learnt from this and apply it to the next one! Thanks to everyone who offered their advice, it is much appreciated!
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear nut

Great stuff man, solid music, good mixes. :-)
jonbd
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Head

Thanks! I know there are still plenty of things wrong with the mixes but you've got to draw a line and move on at some point!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search