Login / Register
 
Input on mix done for EP
New Reply
Subscribe
drumzalicious
Thread Starter
#1
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
  #1
Gear addict
 
drumzalicious's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 387

Thread Starter
drumzalicious is offline
Input on mix done for EP

hey everyone, just wrapped up some mixing for a friend on their 3 song EP and just looking for some feedback.

Here's the link The Introduction | Kirby Lauryen

Thanks so much everyone.
#2
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
  #2
Gear interested
 
dreamWAVE's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5

Send a message via AIM to dreamWAVE
dreamWAVE is offline
She has a funny looking nose :D

The mix sounds great. The piano could be a little better in the second track, something about it sounds a little funny. She has a good voice, some minor little errors but loads of feeling. Sounds good!
drumzalicious
Thread Starter
#3
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
  #3
Gear addict
 
drumzalicious's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 387

Thread Starter
drumzalicious is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamWAVE View Post
She has a funny looking nose :D

The mix sounds great. The piano could be a little better in the second track, something about it sounds a little funny. She has a good voice, some minor little errors but loads of feeling. Sounds good!
Better how? To dark/bright? what errors are you referring to?

I tried to roll off some of the highs/not boost them too much in the piano so that it wouldn't fight too much with the vocals. The piano track overall was kind of bright in the higher register and I ended up using a demo of "Vintage Warmer 2" to try and warm it up a bit.

Tell me any and every little detail that you hear that makes you say "eh" I'm trying to learn so I'm pulling on every opinion i can get
#4
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,200

dr_Jezz is offline
Man the vocals are nothing short of great, but what's with your problem with f's below 500Hz? It sounds like it's coming through a megaphone which makes everything sound crisp, but massively fatigueing. Why have you cut all the lo/mid and bass out of the piano? No need - it doesn't fight with the vox, especially since you have HP'd the vox so severely. Man this is great stuff that can just be sorted out with you starting by putting all the eq's back to flat and listening again and best of all comparing to a reference on your own monitors. This is great music, but not how most great music sounds .

PS Much as I love vintage warmer 2, over use also becomes fatigueing
drumzalicious
Thread Starter
#5
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
  #5
Gear addict
 
drumzalicious's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 387

Thread Starter
drumzalicious is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Man the vocals are nothing short of great, but what's with your problem with f's below 500Hz? It sounds like it's coming through a megaphone which makes everything sound crisp, but massively fatigueing. Why have you cut all the lo/mid and bass out of the piano? No need - it doesn't fight with the vox, especially since you have HP'd the vox so severely. Man this is great stuff that can just be sorted out with you starting by putting all the eq's back to flat and listening again and best of all comparing to a reference on your own monitors. This is great music, but not how most great music sounds .

PS Much as I love vintage warmer 2, over use also becomes fatigueing
cool thanks. Just curious as to what you're listening back through. I'm mixing on a pair of VXT6's and they lack a bit of clarity in that 500-1k range and I've been thinking about a 2nd pair of monitors to pair with them.
#6
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,200

dr_Jezz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
cool thanks. Just curious as to what you're listening back through. I'm mixing on a pair of VXT6's and they lack a bit of clarity in that 500-1k range and I've been thinking about a 2nd pair of monitors to pair with them.
Tonight not even on proper monitors, just a pair of Near 08s hooked up to a MBP. Unless your monitoring environment is really problematic (I'm in a cuboid room right now and worse than that it does not get) it's not the issue - it's the sound you hear in your head. You seem to be looking for a very bright, almost piercing sound and adding the vintagewarmer will just make that harsher. I would still suggest flattening all the eq's and listening to a variety of reference tracks for just half an hour. YMMV.
drumzalicious
Thread Starter
#7
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #7
Gear addict
 
drumzalicious's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 387

Thread Starter
drumzalicious is offline
bump
#8
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #8
Gear nut
 
arth's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 143

arth is offline
In my opinion piano sounds bit too thin, taking in consideration that is the only instrument in the whole song, I would probably want to see it a little bit more ballsy. I think vocals need a bit more of body as well, sounds very nosy if you know what I mean. But I guess it is all matter of preference.
__________________
Arthur Indrikovs
Freelance Sound Engineer, London

High quality, commercial release music recording, music mixing and mastering services at affordable rates for anyone.

web: http://arthursoundengineer.com
email: art@arthursoundengineer.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/arthuraudio
#9
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Tinderwet's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Hungary
Posts: 1,015

Tinderwet is offline
Or add a bass track.
drumzalicious
Thread Starter
#10
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #10
Gear addict
 
drumzalicious's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 387

Thread Starter
drumzalicious is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by arth View Post
In my opinion piano sounds bit too thin, taking in consideration that is the only instrument in the whole song, I would probably want to see it a little bit more ballsy. I think vocals need a bit more of body as well, sounds very nosy if you know what I mean. But I guess it is all matter of preference.
Yea I hear what you mean about the vocals. I cut some of the nasal sound out and didn't want to do to much because part of it is her actual singing tone. Where do we draw the line as engineers? Do we cut it to be more pleasing and sacrifice the vocalists natural tone? How have you handled it before?

Like I said I'm a newbie and am just getting my feet wet so I'm trying to learn.

Quote:
Tinderwet Or add a bass track.
This actually sparked a thought in me. Realized that I actually put HPF on the vocals as if there were a bass track just out of habit and it ended up not being needed as high as i set it. Lesson learned.
#11
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
  #11
Gear maniac
 
Andreas Leonhard's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Wassenberg, Germany
Posts: 190

Andreas Leonhard is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Man the vocals are nothing short of great, but what's with your problem with f's below 500Hz? It sounds like it's coming through a megaphone which makes everything sound crisp, but massively fatigueing. Why have you cut all the lo/mid and bass out of the piano? No need - it doesn't fight with the vox, especially since you have HP'd the vox so severely. Man this is great stuff that can just be sorted out with you starting by putting all the eq's back to flat and listening again and best of all comparing to a reference on your own monitors. This is great music, but not how most great music sounds .

PS Much as I love vintage warmer 2, over use also becomes fatigueing
I absolutely agree.
drumzalicious
Thread Starter
#12
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #12
Gear addict
 
drumzalicious's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 387

Thread Starter
drumzalicious is offline
Thanks for your input so far guys. A lot of stuff with this has been a lesson learned and I will be taking your feedback into the next time I do some mixing for someone.

If you guys have any other feedback/suggestions I'm all ears.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
thethrillfactor / So much gear, so little time!
71
Clueless / So much gear, so little time!
10
coffeeanan / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
22
lakeshorephatty / So much gear, so little time!
2
jglamar / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
17

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.