Input on mix done for EP
Old 27th February 2012
Gear addict

Input on mix done for EP

hey everyone, just wrapped up some mixing for a friend on their 3 song EP and just looking for some feedback.

Here's the link The Introduction | Kirby Lauryen

Thanks so much everyone.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear interested

She has a funny looking nose :D

The mix sounds great. The piano could be a little better in the second track, something about it sounds a little funny. She has a good voice, some minor little errors but loads of feeling. Sounds good!
Old 27th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamWAVE View Post
She has a funny looking nose :D

The mix sounds great. The piano could be a little better in the second track, something about it sounds a little funny. She has a good voice, some minor little errors but loads of feeling. Sounds good!
Better how? To dark/bright? what errors are you referring to?

I tried to roll off some of the highs/not boost them too much in the piano so that it wouldn't fight too much with the vocals. The piano track overall was kind of bright in the higher register and I ended up using a demo of "Vintage Warmer 2" to try and warm it up a bit.

Tell me any and every little detail that you hear that makes you say "eh" I'm trying to learn so I'm pulling on every opinion i can get
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Man the vocals are nothing short of great, but what's with your problem with f's below 500Hz? It sounds like it's coming through a megaphone which makes everything sound crisp, but massively fatigueing. Why have you cut all the lo/mid and bass out of the piano? No need - it doesn't fight with the vox, especially since you have HP'd the vox so severely. Man this is great stuff that can just be sorted out with you starting by putting all the eq's back to flat and listening again and best of all comparing to a reference on your own monitors. This is great music, but not how most great music sounds .

PS Much as I love vintage warmer 2, over use also becomes fatigueing
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Man the vocals are nothing short of great, but what's with your problem with f's below 500Hz? It sounds like it's coming through a megaphone which makes everything sound crisp, but massively fatigueing. Why have you cut all the lo/mid and bass out of the piano? No need - it doesn't fight with the vox, especially since you have HP'd the vox so severely. Man this is great stuff that can just be sorted out with you starting by putting all the eq's back to flat and listening again and best of all comparing to a reference on your own monitors. This is great music, but not how most great music sounds .

cool thanks. Just curious as to what you're listening back through. I'm mixing on a pair of VXT6's and they lack a bit of clarity in that 500-1k range and I've been thinking about a 2nd pair of monitors to pair with them.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
cool thanks. Just curious as to what you're listening back through. I'm mixing on a pair of VXT6's and they lack a bit of clarity in that 500-1k range and I've been thinking about a 2nd pair of monitors to pair with them.
Tonight not even on proper monitors, just a pair of Near 08s hooked up to a MBP. Unless your monitoring environment is really problematic (I'm in a cuboid room right now and worse than that it does not get) it's not the issue - it's the sound you hear in your head. You seem to be looking for a very bright, almost piercing sound and adding the vintagewarmer will just make that harsher. I would still suggest flattening all the eq's and listening to a variety of reference tracks for just half an hour. YMMV.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear addict

bump
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear nut

In my opinion piano sounds bit too thin, taking in consideration that is the only instrument in the whole song, I would probably want to see it a little bit more ballsy. I think vocals need a bit more of body as well, sounds very nosy if you know what I mean. But I guess it is all matter of preference.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Or add a bass track.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arth View Post
In my opinion piano sounds bit too thin, taking in consideration that is the only instrument in the whole song, I would probably want to see it a little bit more ballsy. I think vocals need a bit more of body as well, sounds very nosy if you know what I mean. But I guess it is all matter of preference.
Yea I hear what you mean about the vocals. I cut some of the nasal sound out and didn't want to do to much because part of it is her actual singing tone. Where do we draw the line as engineers? Do we cut it to be more pleasing and sacrifice the vocalists natural tone? How have you handled it before?

Like I said I'm a newbie and am just getting my feet wet so I'm trying to learn.

Quote:
Tinderwet Or add a bass track.
This actually sparked a thought in me. Realized that I actually put HPF on the vocals as if there were a bass track just out of habit and it ended up not being needed as high as i set it. Lesson learned.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post

I absolutely agree.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear addict

Thanks for your input so far guys. A lot of stuff with this has been a lesson learned and I will be taking your feedback into the next time I do some mixing for someone.

If you guys have any other feedback/suggestions I'm all ears.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search