Mix Off!! POP ROCK
Old 21st November 2011
Gear nut

Mix Off!! POP ROCK

Old 21st November 2011
Gear maniac

I got some time.... I'll check it out 1 question... do you like/want reverb or no?
Old 21st November 2011
Gear nut

I don't mind reverb if it's done tastefully. I think with this song you could definitely get away with some more reverb on the vocals but like I said only if it's done to taste... not overbearing. Just my opinion though.
Old 21st November 2011
Guitar/Vox of Skyway Ave.

LOVE THIS TRACK! Is it possible once I've mixed it that I could post it under *MixOff Entry* on my website? Starting to get clients etc and aside from my own solo projects and couple projects, I'd love to get a wider array of artists on the player.

Either way, excellent track, I'll give it a go.
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

OK, I'll give this one a shot too. I love mixoffs.
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPants View Post
Here is a song I recorded a few months back for a solo project I'm working on. Did all the playing/production myself. Posted it a while back looking for some advice and had a few people saying they would like to try it as a "Mix off". So HERE IT IS!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663805/BWar_Exports.zip

Let me hear what you guys do with it! I'd love to hear your ideas! Here's my mix of it so you can get an Idea of what you're working with
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19663805/BitterWarMix9%201.mp3
Are the drums programmed or real? They are on the very small side and it's hard to tell. Nice tune.
Old 21st November 2011
Banned

I like the music, but the lead vocal is nails on a chalkboard.
Old 21st November 2011
Gear nut

They are 100% real drums. No sample replacement/reinforcement. I tried to keep it as real and natural as possible.

As far as the "nails on chalkboard" comment... I guess I should have prefaced by saying that I'm aware that I'm not an amazing singer.
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
They are 100% real drums. No sample replacement/reinforcement. I tried to keep it as real and natural as possible.

As far as the "nails on chalkboard" comment... I guess I should have prefaced by saying that I'm aware that I'm not an amazing singer.
It's ok. Amazing range you got.
Old 22nd November 2011
Frequency Wrangler

Here's my mix.

I added some vocal harmonies and cut the solo in half.

Otherwise i really like the arrangement on this. Nice job.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 PeterPants_BitterWar_HookMix_MP3.mp3 (8.29 MB, 1573 views)
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear nut

Awesome CaptainHook. That's exactly what I was looking for! I've had a tough time finding harmonies I liked. I may have to go back and add some of these myself!
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear nut

Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate it.

BTW what did you do to the snare? seems like it's got some more THWACK to it. Sample?
Yeah, I did some gating to the original snare, but I felt it needed some help so I used an extra one for more 'thwack' as you put it. Original close-mic'ed sample had too much hihat info also, which I mostly don't prefer.
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear Head

This is a cool song! listening to Hooks mix made me wanna have a crack at a mix. What he did with the BV's was perfect.. I know this kinda thing is right up his alley

Here's mine.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 PeterPantsBitter War_Mikmix.mp3 (5.94 MB, 743 views)
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Drums View Post
This is a cool song! listening to Hooks mix made me wanna have a crack at a mix. What he did with the BV's was perfect.. I know this kinda thing is right up his alley

Here's mine.

Sounds awesome, man. The drums sound really great. Much bigger!
Old 23rd November 2011
Frequency Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Drums View Post
This is a cool song! listening to Hooks mix made me wanna have a crack at a mix. What he did with the BV's was perfect..
Ha, shot Mike. Thanks, although i'm not sure if the "listening to Hooks mix made me wanna have a crack at a mix" meant you thought mine totally missed the mark...? HAHA. Anyway, good mix as always. I hope you were inspired by the vid i sent you and you did it on Reaper. This is the 3rd mix i've done with Reaper now. Liking it more and more and have found even more cool things i'm using. Enough thread-derailing anyway.

p.s Nice idea with the telephone echo after 1st chorus.
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Ha, shot Mike. Thanks, although i'm not sure if the "listening to Hooks mix made me wanna have a crack at a mix" meant you thought mine totally missed the mark...? HAHA. Anyway, good mix as always. I hope you were inspired by the vid i sent you and you did it on Reaper. This is the 3rd mix i've done with Reaper now. Liking it more and more and have found even more cool things i'm using. Enough thread-derailing anyway.

p.s Nice idea with the telephone echo after 1st chorus.

Agreed. the telephone echo was a good idea.

I'm a reaper supporter too. I do all my edits in reaper to take advantage of the slip editing and then move them back over to pro tools. I do all of my tracking and mixing in pro tools just because I am more familiar with it and can move quickly, but as for editing I think reaper's slip editing blows Pro Tools away. Just my 2 cents.
Old 24th November 2011
Frequency Wrangler

Quote:
Agreed. the telephone echo was a good idea.
I was teasing Mike cause i did it in my mix.

Quote:
I'm a reaper supporter too. I do all my edits in reaper to take advantage of the slip editing and then move them back over to pro tools. I do all of my tracking and mixing in pro tools just because I am more familiar with it and can move quickly, but as for editing I think reaper's slip editing blows Pro Tools away. Just my 2 cents.
Oh nice. I first used Pro Tools on version 4 TDM and it was 8 tracks only. :P
Used it to record an acoustic album for my guitar tutor at the time who owned it. Until a couple of weeks ago i have been using it solidly/exclusively since then (about 12 years).

I made a vid showing some of the features i like not available in PT and sent it to some friends who might be interested (including Mike above) and the first thing i showed was editing drums with slip. That for editing, is a game changer for me (compared to clip gain) and i've used it so much already.

I think i'm already just as fast mixing with reaper now (folders are great and so much quicker to set up than auxes) not to mention my normal mix setup uses about 60-70% cpu in PT but only 30-40% in reaper!! But i haven't done any recording yet so will have to wait and see on that front.
Old 24th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
I was teasing Mike cause i did it in my mix.

Oh nice. I first used Pro Tools on version 4 TDM and it was 8 tracks only. :P
Used it to record an acoustic album for my guitar tutor at the time who owned it. Until a couple of weeks ago i have been using it solidly/exclusively since then (about 12 years).

I made a vid showing some of the features i like not available in PT and sent it to some friends who might be interested (including Mike above) and the first thing i showed was editing drums with slip. That for editing, is a game changer for me (compared to clip gain) and i've used it so much already.

I think i'm already just as fast mixing with reaper now (folders are great and so much quicker to set up than auxes) not to mention my normal mix setup uses about 60-70% cpu in PT but only 30-40% in reaper!! But i haven't done any recording yet so will have to wait and see on that front.

Would you mind sending me that video? I'd like to take a look and see what all I'm missing. But yeah, reaper for drum editing is great.
Old 24th November 2011
Frequency Wrangler

Will PM ya.
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't mind reverb if it's done tastefully. I think with this song you could definitely get away with some more reverb on the vocals but like I said only if it's done to taste... not overbearing. Just my opinion though.

I want everyone to mix it for free... BUT DO IT LIKE I LIKE IT!!!
Old 24th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post

I think you may have gotten the wrong idea. I was simply stating my opinion. Also, I'm not looking for a free mix as you put it. Quite a few people asked for it as a mix off when I first posted my mix a few months back. I just wanted to put it up for those interested and perhaps to gain some insight or new ideas for my mix. That's all.
Old 24th November 2011
Gear Head

Cheers Peter!

Quote:
Thanks, although i'm not sure if the "listening to Hooks mix made me wanna have a crack at a mix" meant you thought mine totally missed the mark...?
Not at all, it was the fact that you hit the mark so squarely that made me wanna have a go.. The stuff I've been working on lately has been real hard work and this sounded like fun, the direction was clear and unambiguous, the track count was low and I really dug the song.. couldn't resist. Also wanted to try out RC Tube setting on the VCC.

Quote:
I hope you were inspired by the vid i sent you and you did it on Reaper.
Those vids were great and yeah I will invest some time learning Reaper but this mix was all Pro Tools.. and plugins.. except the mix bus where I used my outboard G comp and A-Designs EM-PEQs and i only them cause of habit
I'm convinced plugs do just as good a job.. and I was gonna say "these days" but man I've been using plugins that came out with version 5-6 of pro tools and they sound great.. Lo-Fi (hook I'm looking at you) is an essential part of any mix I do these days.. same with Smack and the L1!

And yeah I stole that telephone echo and I'd do it again.. just fitted to damn well
Old 24th November 2011
Frequency Wrangler

Respect. Haha. RC Tube is good huh? I didn't use it on this track except as a second instance of the VCC mixbuss straight after my 'main' one (4k for this) but i'll email you a track i mixed using it on everything.
Old 24th November 2011
Frequency Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
To be fair, i used quite a bit (IMO) of reverb on the vox. As well as delay.
PeterPants was asked if he liked/wanted it by another poster, i chose to do what i felt worked best.

PeterPants also never said he was looking for a free mix. Just responding to requests for a mix off.
Old 24th November 2011
Gear Head

Yeah I think I like RC Tube, sounds good hitt'n the red. I pretty much used 4k exclusively before it came along... the other emulations just didn't really do it for me.. hard to say why just feel thing.
Old 25th November 2011
Gear interested

Old 25th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by northamrec View Post
The song and the mixes all sound great! I've been checking out this forum for quite some time and this is my first post. I was inspired to have some fun with the song and give it a shot. Here is my mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8970134/nort...tterWarMix.mp3

Very cool man. And welcome!
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by northamrec View Post
The song and the mixes all sound great! I've been checking out this forum for quite some time and this is my first post. I was inspired to have some fun with the song and give it a shot. Here is my mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8970134/nort...tterWarMix.mp3
Excellent mix, great drum ideas. If you or anybody approached this one from more of a Shipley perspective, it would be an absolute homerun. I will have to say that this is an excellent mix-off thread, and that is a rare thing. It helps that the OP gave you guys something fairly classic to work with as far as song structure, kind of a reverse Baba O'Riley kind of progression. Not too shabby!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search